Water Polo going swimmingly

The Water Polo team warms up. Photo by Jared Pittsley

Bear River Water Polo players are making a splash with every game won so far and confident feelings about the season ahead.

The next tournament is at Sierra College this Friday and Saturday. Practices are everyday from 3:30 p.m.-5:00 p.m. 

“Water Polo is going to be great!” said Maggie O’Callaghan, a sophomore on the Bear River Water Polo team. “We have a lot of new faces that are really enjoying the game and we are all having a lot of fun. I think that the girls and boys are going to have a great season. The boys go down to Sierra college this Friday and Saturday for the tournament called ‘Sierra Shootout’ and the girls’ tournament is next weekend at Sierra. … The girls this year have a good chance of making it to sections.”

Coach Daryn Glasgow also seems excited for this upcoming season.

“We have a great group for Water Polo this year,” he said. “More than expected came out for the team and we are working hard, learning tons and having a lot of fun! We are super excited to start league games next week.”

“Water Polo is going good,” said Anthony Jon Crawford, a junior Water Polo player. “I believe that we will do good this year, and I really like Water Polo a lot. I made a lot of new friends and a family from Water Polo.”

Jordan Moore, a freshman, was also positive about the season.

“Water Polo is going great,” Moore said. “We’ve already had a few scrimmages and will play several games this Saturday. I personally think it’s going to be an awesome season. Being new to the sport, I am working on getting more confident under pressure. But I already know I really enjoy the excitement of being in the pool and working hard with my teammates.”

Jasmine Au, a senior, discussed the girls’ experience of the sport.

“I personally think that this season is going to go great,” she said. “All of our girls love each other and help each other with what they need. Water Polo has brought all of us together as a team but also as friends. Whenever we have a game, we always try to sit next to each other.”

Jaytyn Collier, a junior, is new to the sport. He also talked about the camaraderie within the Water Polo team.

“We are doing really good as a team,” Collier said. “We have a lot of new players including me. Everyone is so welcoming and kind. As a team we hang out outside school and practice to bond as a team, which has gone really well. Since we have done that, we all know each other’s strengths, weaknesses, and abilities which helps us be a better team overall. We have won all the games we have played so far this season and I think we are going to keep working as a team and kick butt in competition. I personally like it a lot and I’m having a blast with the sport and the team. We have a saying: ‘What happens underwater stays underwater.’”