Seniors dominate Powder Puff game, eye Colfax for match-up

Eleni Ruocco-Brown runs a pass for the junior team during the Powder Puff game. Photo by Massiel Chavez

Bear River’s Powder Puff game was out of this world, with a rivalry between the “Senior Aliens” and “Junior Astronauts.”

Girls from the junior and senior classes clashed for a game of flag football. The event happens once a year and is hosted by Bear River Leadership. This year, Riley Harrison, a senior Leadership member, was put in charge of setting up the game. The game took place on October 5 on the football field.

The Powder Puff coaches for both sides were Varsity football players. The coaches for the senior team were Colton Wood, Ryan Tantum, and Kyle Wooner. The coaches for the junior team were Luke Baggett, Steven Taylor, and Kaden Ahlberg.

Harrison discussed the possibility of expanding Powder Puff for a game against Colfax. Harrison suggested the Varsity Powder Puff team could be seniors and the Junior Varsity could be the juniors. Powder Puff coaches had confidence in their team’s potential in a hypothetical Colfax game.

“(I’m) very confident we’d come out with a win,” said Wooner, a senior coach.

“(I’m) feeling great, confident and we’re freaking excited (for a game),” said Cunningham, a junior coach.

The final score of the Powder Puff game was 6-0, a victory for the seniors. Coaches said they were very proud of how the teams performed. They said it was a stunning performance with great teamwork and sportsmanship.

“I think defense did great but offense needs a lot of work,” said Corippo, a junior coach. “We definitely need to improve on offense and we’ll be back next year.”

“I think both teams did good,” said Harrison. “Our defense was good at containing and their offense was alright, but in the end the seniors won.”

Players weighed in about how they felt about their team’s performance.

“(We did) good,” said Cameron Ramsour, a senior player. “We won and their offense was off.” 

“We did well but we could improve,” said Ella Beardsley, a senior player.

Harrison said that Leadership is trying to set up a Powder Puff game with Colfax.

“I think it’d be sweet to play against Colfax,” said Baggett.

“I like the idea (of a) possible game with Colfax,” said Wooner.

Students also thought making Powder Puff a school sport was a good idea.

“That would be so sick (for Powder Puff to be a sport),” said Ramsour. “I’d play.”

“(It would be) entertaining,” said Paige Zolldan, a senior player.