Volleyball playoffs crown a winning season

The Girls Varsity Volleyball Team has made it to playoffs. Photo by Alyssa Rice

Bear River Varsity Volleyball is coming to an end with this season’s playoffs.

Ashley Albee, a junior, is more than happy with the outcome of this year’s Varsity Volleyball season.

“So I’m super excited that we made playoffs again this year and I believe this year’s team has the skill and motivation to make it all the way through playoffs,” Albee said. “With the loss of 9 seniors graduating from last year’s team, most people would think this year’s team would do worse since we have so many young players, but we really proved them wrong. All of our younger players have really stepped up their game to play at Varsity level and I’m super proud of them.”

Grace Sipnicky, a senior, feels Varsity could go farther than ever before in playoffs.

“I think that we’re all very excited to be going to playoffs again even though we won’t get as good of a seed as we did last year,” Sipnicky said. “I think our team this year has the potential to go even farther than we were able to last year. We are putting in work to get better and can’t wait for playoffs to begin.”

Kayla Toft, a senior, said Varsity is hoping for a win for our school.

“I think we have a really good shot in playoffs and I’m excited for it to start,” Toft said. “We all have been working really hard to get where we are and we will continue to work hard to get as far as possible. We’re really hoping to start off playoffs with a home game and with a win for our school!”

Alex Staples, a junior, talked about this season’s playoffs potential and how the Varsity team always has each other’s back through it all.

“I think our team this year has a great chemistry. We’ve had our ups and downs throughout the year but I think we’re now ready to take on playoffs,” Staples said. “I think our team will get far this year in playoffs because we always support each other and have each other’s backs during every match.”

Matt MacDonald, the Varsity Volleyball coach, talked about starting over in playoffs.

“I think we have a great shot to go as far as we want to,” he said. “The thing about playoffs is it’s kind of like a new season, so everything you’ve done before that point kind of gets you prepared and then once the playoffs start everyone goes back to being zero and zero.”

“We got a lot of leaders and a good group so we should be ready to roll,” Mr. MacDonald said. “I think we’re ready, I think that we’re playing our best volleyball right now. We’ve done some different things offensively to kind of prepare us for the post season. I think we’re just playing well in all facets of the game, and I think we’re gonna come out and surprise some people.”

Mr. MacDonald then discussed this year’s team compared to last year’s.

“I think last year we had quite a few more seniors; we had ten seniors,” he said. “This year we only have four, so in that regard we’re a little bit younger. But I think by this point in the season, you know we’ve played 40 matches which I think is more than just about anybody in California. We’ve played a lot of games at the Varsity level so I think we’ve grown up fast and our seniors are leading us right now and our younger kids are stepping up and doing great. I think we’re excited and I think we’re ready. It’s great to be a Bruin!”