Külture Klüb finding its way as a new club

Junior Desi Kreiter interviews senior Devon Trammell about the Külture Klüb. Photo by Bella Batula

Külture Klüb, a first-year club at Bear River, is struggling to stay alive but have big plans to prosper.

Band and Choir Director David Ahrens offered an insider view on how the club is doing.

“Not as many people are participating in the club that had been in the beginning,” he said. “The Külture Klüb is new and at the beginning we were trying to get the concept down and the planning for the events down, but our other school performances became priority, and that’s when we started losing people because we weren’t doing anything right then and there.”

Chorale Accompanist Andrea Fox explained to us what the idea of Külture Klüb is.

“The idea of the Külture Klüb is for students of Bear River who are interested in going either in or outside of the county in the region, even as far as Sacramento (for field trips),” she said. “This is an organization that can help the students go and explore as a group to embrace many different forms of the art culture by getting group discounts, and making the trips affordable.”

Mr. Ahrens further elaborated on Ms. Fox’s statement.

“We’re looking to go to the Sierra Master Chorale performance sometime in May,” he said. “Also we’re looking into going to Sacramento to visit some museums and such.”

Sophomore Marie-Claire Desplancke and senior Devon Trammell, both leaders of the Külture Klüb, discussed what the club means to them.

“The Külture Klüb is a club that provides students with the opportunity of exploring the culture California and other cultures that reside within it,” explained Desplancke.

“Külture Klüb is a way for students to acquire a little bit a culture by experiencing things such as plays, museums, and other historical landmarks that represent our evolution in the American culture,” said Trammell.

Desplancke explained the main struggle the Külture Klüb has.

“I believe our biggest struggle is to actually get people to participate in the club, but with that I believe that once we start actually going on field trips, a lot more people will join,” she said.

But even with the club’s participation issue, they are still up and kicking.

“The club is actually doing really well,” she continued. “We just have a small amount of members that actually attend the meetings but still, at the end of the year, we are planning a field trip to either Sacramento or San Francisco to visit some museums.”

Trammell believes that students will join when the club starts participating in off-campus activities.

“As soon as we start getting our field trips together then I believe other people will start realizing, ‘Oh, this is a real club. This is the real deal,” he said.