FFA members secure positions at state competition

Julia Yoder, a junior, Chandler Brown, a sophomore, and Elizabeth Enke, a senior, will represent Bear River at the State level in their individual speaking events. Courtesy photo

Bruins talked up a storm at this year’s Superior Region FFA Speaking Competition.

The regional speaking competition at Chico High School was held on March 15. Three individuals and both Parliamentary Procedure teams won a spot to compete at the State level due to their exceptional effort.

The students who participated in competitions elaborated on their roles on the team and in individual events.

“I participate in Prepared speaking,” said Elizabeth Enke, a senior.

“(I’m) president of the Novice Parli-Pro team,” said JP Bzorek, a sophomore.

“(I was in) Impromptu speaking,” said Chandler Brown, a sophomore.

“I’m president of the Advanced Parli-Pro,” said Samuel Nichols, a junior.

“(I took part in) Job Interview,” said Julia Yoder, a junior.

The FFA program hasn’t made it to State with this many students in competition for a while.

“We have been pretty competitive in the past 5 or 6 years, but we haven’t won the state competition since 2009,” said Steve Paasch, the FFA advisor.

Students showed their competitive spirit as they went into the regional contest.

“I envisioned our team each doing their part so we could score high as a team,” said Bzorek.

“I was very nervous and did my best, but it was very unexpected to do as well as I did,” said Yoder.

“At first I was surprised at making it to state, and I really enjoy the speaking competition,” said Brown.

“I wasn’t expecting a lot because, I’ve never been to the regional level and I wanted to make finals,” said Enke.

“Our goal was to make it out of regions by placing in the top four which we knew that we could,” stated Nichols.

Coming out of the Regional Competition with a win, the students reflect on the results of the day.

“I felt that the competition was the best so far for the Novice Parli-Pro team,” said Bzorek. “We all worked together and did amazing.” 

“This competition was really a building moment for the team,” said Nichols. “We started working together instead as individuals.”

“I expected it to be very competitive and hard to make it to state finals,” said Yoder.

“I felt like my final round was really clean, but I still need to practice and make it better,” said Enke.

Mr. Paasch explained his role in the competition.

“During the competition I’m not allowed to give advice or help participants so they were on their own,” said Mr. Paasch.

The students look up to Mr. Paasch as a mentor to help them succeed in their competitions. 

“Paasch helped us prepare and gave us a pep talk (before the competition),” said Nichols.

“He helped by teaching me how to be confident while speaking and he taught me how to have a good voice quality,” said Brown.

“Paasch helped prepare us by doing a bunch of practice Parli-Pro rounds,” said Bzorek.

“Paasch did several mock interviews and helped me formulate the best answers for the potential questions (I may be asked),” said Yoder.

“He helps me a lot,” stated Enke. “He edits my manuscript and helps me practice my annunciation as well as my presentations.”

With high expectations, Mr. Paasch will guide his students toward state wins.

“We plan and expect to win,” stated Mr. Paasch.

FFA Bruins are determined to put forth the time and perform well at the next level. 

“I will learn as much as I can and work on staying as relaxed as possible during the competition,” said Brown.

“I have to revise my speech and do a lot of more research,” said Enke.

“I will do lots of practice questions and study to make sure I know all the information that’s needed,” said Yoder.

“Taking a lot of practice tests is how I will prepare for the state competition,” said Bzorek.

“The way to win is to put in the work,” said Nichols. “Everyone on the team has to be dedicated to studying and practices.”