Bruins sample nutritious new foods

Juniors Tiana Langseth and Molly Bristol eat healthy school lunches. Photo by Hailey Juergenson

Students are eating up a healthy lifestyle with the help of Sierra Harvest.

Sierra Harvest is a non-profit organization that offers Nevada County families with healthy eating guides.

Sara Lieber is a FoodCorps Service Member who promotes healthy habits to students through hands-on gardening and cooking lessons, fresh cafeterias sources, local ingredients, and promoting a school-wide culture of health.

“Sierra Harvest assists the Food Service staff at NJUHSD with sourcing local and organic produce when possible for their cafeteria program by connecting Food Service with local farmers,” said Lieber. “Sierra Harvest staff members, community volunteers, and students from various school organizations conduct taste testings of these local ingredients and menu items at Bear River, Silver Springs, and Nevada Union to help promote these items to their students. The tastings are a great way to introduce the local produce to students in a fun, interactive way.”

Students at Bear River think that the Sierra Harvest is a good idea during lunch.

“I feel like the food they pass out at lunch is pretty good, they have good options for people.”said junior Kaylee Bohrer, president of the school’s Athletes Committed club. “Our brains are still developing and it’s important to eat things that promote that develop in a positive way.”

“I think that eating healthy is better and it can also give you more energy than sugar or sweets. “ said  Julia Bohn, a junior.

“I think that the food at lunch is pretty good for school lunches,” said Kylee Dresbach-Hill, a junior.

Lieber and other staff members continue to support healthy eating in all schools in the district.

“The program was started last year by Lauren Valentino and Sierra Harvest with the launch of California Thursdays in March 2016,” says Lieber,” California Thursdays is a collaboration between the Center for Ecoliteracy and a network of public school districts, including NJUHSD.”

Bear River Students think that is very important for kids in High School.

“Healthy eating is really important for kids our age because it helps us get through a whole day at school and it also keeps us focused.” said Bohrer.

“It is very important to eat healthy because it is good for you and makes you an overall happy person.” said Bohn.

“Eating healthy is very important not only because of physical health but mental health, have a balanced option not only helps the students in sports but it helps them stay focused.” say  Dresbach-Hill.

Lieber will go from school to school to help students so they will know how and what they should eat to develop correctly.  

“This program promotes sourcing local ingredients for school cafeteria meals; research shows that students are more likely to eat vegetables when they know where they are coming from. “says Lieber,” therefore, a main goal of California Thursdays is to promote the farms and farmers who grow the produce that goes into the school meals, It’s very important for high school students to eat healthy to set them up for success today and in the future. Studies have shown that students who eat healthier have higher test scores, better attendance records, and perform better at sports. School is a great place to teach kids about eating healthy so they can establish good habits for the rest of their lives.”