FFA Bruins build their skills at State Convention

FFA Members who attended the State Convention included: seniors Laurel Stine, Mary Foles, Elizabeth Enke, juniors Jaytyn Collier, Julia Yoder, CJ Paul, Sam Nichols, Cat Renner and sophomore Samuel Davis. Courtesy photo

Bruins are gaining leadership skills faster than you can say FFA.

The California FFA State Leadership Conference was held on April 20-25 in Fresno, California. The Bear River FFA Chapter had 28 members attend to compete in competitions and develop in their leadership skills.

Students expressed their favorite activities that they participated in at the conference.

“My favorite part of State Convention was the opening session because of all the light shows and music,” said Braden Fowler, a freshman. “Also, to see how enthusiastic the state officers were.”

“My favorite part was watching the State Sentinel’s retiring address about embracing growth,” said Sam Nichols, a junior.

“The concert was my favorite part because we got to see country singer, Brett Young, perform and we dressed up fancy,” said Michaela Nichols, a freshman.

“Driving the tractors for the Career Field Day and competing in Ag Mechanics Field Day was the highlight of the trip for me,” said Chase Riedel, a senior.

FFA Bruins competed in Field Day contests on Saturday, March 22.

“I got to experience Horse Judging for the first time, where we judged 10 classes of horses,” said Fowler.

“I did the Ag Mech. Field Day to practice for the State Ag Mech. Competition in San Luis Obispo in May,” said Riedel.

Ag Mechanics Teacher Bailey Kirby felt strongly about the positive benefits of her students attending the convention.

“I love State Conference,” she said. “It is really good for younger members in the chapter to participate in the trip because it keeps them interested and involved in the FFA program.”

Kirby’s favorite part of the convention was attending the Career Fair.

“The Career Fair is my favorite because it is interesting to check out the different colleges,” she said. “It creates a socializing network opportunity for the kids.”

Bruins were inspired by the passion that the rest of California FFA had for the program and for the agriculture industry.

“I increased in my leadership skills by talking to other state officers throughout the country and participated in their workshops,” said Fowler.

“Attending the conference inspired me to become a State Officer in the future,” said Nichols.

“(I was inspired by) seeing 7,000 other FFA members through the state at the conference and knowing that they have the same passion for the program as I do,” said senior Sam Nichols.