Freshmen test out new lasting traditions

Freshmen Emma Cutter and Cora Kunde participate in the Welcome Rally. Photo by Christina Levinson

New freshmen at Bear River were being welcomed with a fresh start.

During the first week of school, freshmen arrived onto campus with new traditions instituted this year.

Bear River’s principal, Dr. Amy Besler, explained some of what the school did to welcome new freshmen.

“We felt it was extremely important to ensure that our new freshman class began their high school career at Bear River feeling really excited, welcomed, connected, supported, and inspired,” Dr. Besler said. “For the first time ever, we began our first day of school with a ‘Welcome Rally’ with the specific purpose of warmly welcoming the Class of 2021 with a standing ovation and tunnel made by the Class of 2018 and the staff.”

Dr. Besler also elaborated on what she thinks of the new traditions this year.

“I think it’s really exciting to see how much effort has gone into creating a great environment for our freshmen class,” she said. “I love the new traditions and am excited to help our student leaders and staff build upon them in the future.”

Grant Murchison, a new freshman, said he felt a warm reception at Bear River.

“It felt like I was (welcomed) because the ‘Welcome Rally’ was nice and also orientation,” he said. “They both tried to welcome us in, saying that we’ve all been in this position before and they hope our experience is good.”

Another freshman, Gavin Jackson, felt that maybe the welcoming was a bit too much.

“I did feel like I was welcomed here because I know quite a few people here,” he said. “I thought the rally was over-exaggerated a little bit. We’re just going into high school.”

During the first week of school, freshman Elaina Wargala was nervous about some of the upperclassmen.

“It was decent and nerve wracking because some of the seniors would say ‘Ew freshmen’ and think we were gross,” she said.

Most of the freshmen agreed that the rally was their favorite part of their first week.

“My favorite was the rally because it was opening up and telling us what this school year is going to be like,” said Murchison.

Wargala agreed with Murchison, also saying some of the other activities were fun.

“The scavenger hunt was pretty cool in P.E.,” she said. “The rally was also cool. It felt like we were a part of the high school now.”

Dr. Besler explained the plans to continue the traditions into this year and years to come.

“The student leadership program will connect each freshman with a Link Crew leader, who is an upperclassman student who will check in with him or her on a regular basis throughout the school year,” she said. “This Link Crew buddy will ensure that freshmen are aware of upcoming events, can answer questions, and will encourage the freshmen to get involved in school activities. Next year, we will work to make our Week of Welcome even bigger and better than it was this year.”