Welcome to the Jungle Dance

Cavasia Chandler dancing to the beat of the jungle. Photos by Brandon McGinnis

This year, Bear River celebrated a milestone — the 10-year anniversary of the Jungle Dance on August 19, 2016.

The Leadership Committee and AP US History teacher Matt MacDonald made this year bigger and better with theme, decorations, lights, and a new, improved music selection. Mr. MacDonald discussed event plans before the dance.

“I think the decorations will be bigger and better since we are putting more funding into the dance itself this year…” he said. “There will be a better DJ and song list as well, including the new fast pass line that is available to all the seniors this year.”

The theme for the dance was an Olympic and jungle theme, including new lights and more props. The music was played by a new DJ and the music choices were from this year’s popular artists.

The dance itself takes place to help freshmen feel welcomed into the student body and to help make the start of the year great. Among the student body, for freshmen, it is hard to open up among the older students and feel comfortable. The Jungle Dance is an opportunity for students to get to know each other and help make new friends within all grades.

“The environment here at the dance is very friendly and it is easy to talk amongst the other students,” said Holly Shepard, a freshman. “The amount of work and effort put into the dance by the leadership committee is really great and enjoyable.”

“The decorations help the atmosphere and make it feel better and more fun,” said Callahan Pettitt, a freshmen. “I believe that there won’t be any problems throughout the night and that the environment among the students will be good.”

The dance theme and atmosphere for each year has been different. For sophomores, juniors, and seniors who have already attended more than once, they expressed their belief that this year was worth attending.

The Leadership Committee wanted to make this year stand out more than past years. Given the 10-year anniversary, it helped make it more memorable for the seniors graduating this year.

“I have attended all of the Jungle Dances and it’s always fun and exciting,” said Dustin Roberts, a senior. “The thing I enjoy the most is being able to do weird and fun things with all my friends.”

“This dance is a lot better than other dances I have attended in past years,” said Tyler Schooley, a senior. “(It’s) more carefree than other dances because they are more formal, like Prom.”

Jon Ferguson, a junior, didn’t notice much of a music difference from previous events but was satisfied overall.

“The song list to me was not much different, but the lights and decorations are much better this year,” he said. “This dance is more enjoyable because more of the students attend the the other dances.”

“Freshmen this year attending will be able to have a chance to have fun among upperclassmen and feel welcomed,” said Gage Young, a sophomore. “There will be more energy and a lot more fun than other dances.”

Bear River student across all grades felt that this dance was the most enjoyable and fun to attend. All the funding that was raised from the dance was put into after-school activities, new equipment, and sport committees. Students said the dance was a time for seniors to come together. It also was a night to remember for all grades.