From cafeteria to classroom: Siebecke joins Special Ed

Paraeducator Dianna Siebecke is a new aide in the Special Education department. Photo by Sonora Slater

Dianna Siebecke showed Bruins where kindness can get you, especially when your job is working with kids.

Ms. Siebecke worked in Food Services at Bear River for over 11 years, with the last three years as the Assistant Manager in the cafeteria. When the opportunity arose to be a Paraeducator, she applied and, ultimately, got the promotion. Students say that they are happy for Ms. Siebecke, and feel that she is very good at working with kids.

“The last three years… in the cafeteria, I loved it immensely but it was just an opportunity… to move on to something different and work with the kids in a different way,” Ms. Siebecke explained.

“I love cooking, and I love the staff, and the kids and trying new recipes,” Ms Siebecke said. “I enjoyed it a lot, but I felt the kids I did get to know, I wanted to know a bit more. So when a posting came up for an instructional aide in Special Ed, I thought this would be a good opportunity to see if I qualify.”

According to Special Education Aide Joanna Aguilar, so far Ms. Siebecke’s job has largely consisted of helping out with Ms. Noble’s class.

“Ms. Noble is out right now, so (Ms. Siebecke) is working with some subs to make sure that things are running smoothly in a couple of those classrooms,” Ms. Aguilar explained. “… Each day if there’s a different sub, then she’s helping the continuity of what’s going on in the classroom.”

The Bruins that Ms. Siebecke has interacted with all seemed to agree that she is more than qualified. They praised her personality.

“She’s just outgoing, and she’s good with kids,” said Jaycee Andersen, a sophomore.

Andersen said she gets lunch from the school every day, so she saw Ms. Siebecke often last year.

“I am glad she got promoted, because she definitely earned it,” she said. “… She’s been a really nice person, and she’s a really good staff member.”

“She’s a pretty great person, and she helps a lot of people,” said Vance Higley, a sophomore. 

“She has a super bubbly personality and, I don’t know, she’s super sweet,” said Rae Freiler, a junior. “I like the way she comes off. Good vibes. … She doesn’t judge you for who you are.”

However, Ms. Siebecke doesn’t just assist students.

“Right now she is just helping all of us, so she fits in great,” Ms. Aguilar said. “… She works individually with the students to make sure that they are getting to their tasks academically. She helps them with essays, with math, with anything and everything. I’m another aide, a paraprofessional they call us, so I set up and schedule … and she helps me in any way she can. … She also helps the other two Special Ed teachers if they need something.”

The small group of Paraeducators say their friendship goes beyond their jobs.

“She sits and eats lunches with us and we all have a lot to say outside of school too,” Ms. Aguilar added. “She’s an interesting person.”

Ms. Siebecke said she loves her new job, and wants to do it as long as possible.

“I feel that this is probably where I’ll retire, is in Special Ed,” Ms. Siebecke said.