Placer-era ends with Bruin football loss

The Varsity Bruin Football Team lines up for a play against the Placer Hillmen. Photo by Morgan Ham

The Bruins couldn’t quite score a win in their last game against Placer.

On Friday, October 27th, the Bear River football team played a home game against the Placer Hillmen and fell to them 34-19. It was the last Bruin vs Placer game ever because Placer has been moved to a larger league.

Varsity Head Coach Scott Savoie shared his view of the game, and said that he wanted to commend his players for trying their best despite obstacles.

“It was tough, because coming into it we had a lot of injuries the week before, and our kids got up and played anyways,” he said. “I was very pleased and proud of them.”

Starting quarterback and senior Luke Baggett had similar thoughts about the result of the game.

“It was a close game, but we just couldn’t pull it out in the end,” he said. “Not the end result we were hoping for, but it was still a good game, I thought.”

Coach Savoie detailed what the Bruins did well in the game against Placer.

“Two of the things that we’ve been battling with the last several games is we’ve had a lot of penalties and a lot of turnovers,” he said. “I feel like we’ve made drastic improvements in those two areas over the last two weeks, in the Colfax game and the Placer game.”

Junior offensive and defensive tackle senior Shelby Beghetti explained what she thinks the team’s strengths are.

“We definitely worked together as a team, like really well on offense early on in the game,” Beghetti said. “That definitely gave us an advantage because we were working together.”

Everyone said that the Bruins played their hardest but, in the end, Placer pulled out the win. Players recounted the errors made by the Bruins.

“I think we could have finished some drives better, and limited some of the errors we had,” said wingback and senior Stephen Taylor.

Baggett said that he agreed that the team could have improved on multiple aspects of their playing, but also wanted to emphasize what an advantage Placer has over Bear River.

“We could have tackled better, as a defense,” Baggett said. “Not let up on as many big plays as we did … but I mean, they’re a really good team. Probably the best one we’ve seen all year.”

In all, the team and the coach said that they were proud of what they had done, but disappointed about the loss to Placer.

“I wish we would’ve won, but we just have to focus on the next week ahead,” Baggett said.

— Kai Keller contributed to this report.