Bruins to star in Nutcracker performance, hospital benefit

In Sync performers block The Nutcracker’s snow scene during tech rehearsal Wednesday night. Photo by Sonora Slater

Attendees of In Sync Dance of Auburn’s annual Nutcracker performance this year will not only get the opportunity to see a cast comprised of local performers, but will also help fund the Auburn Sutter Faith Pediatric Unit.

In Sync has performed The Nutcracker at Bear River Theater for the past four years. According to Production Manager Kristen Krick, the ballet this year will take place on the 15th, 16th, and 17th of December. The proceeds from the show will go to Sutter Auburn Faith Pediatric Unit, Ms. Krick explained.

“In Sync Dance will be in partnership with the NorCal Performance Ballet Company and the Kids Helping Kids Foundation, a local non-profit organization devoted to aiding local children and their families in need, all while promoting the fine art of dance,” Ms. Krick said. “Instead of focusing on competitive dance, the studio’s Performance Company promotes the KHKF in our local community and teaches the dancers altruism and giving back to those less fortunate.”

Freshman Klaire Wolford is starring as Clara in the performance this weekend. She talked about why she likes being part of a dance studio that gives back to the community.

“Personally, being part of the studio brings me so much joy and pride, and I love that we are able to give some of that joy back to our community, especially during this time of the year,” Wolford explained.

Speaking of community, several other Bruins are involved in the show. Ms. Krick talked about how Bear River’s new Stage Manager Erin Beatie has had a role in enhancing this year’s performance.

“We are really excited to be joining forces with Erin, ” Ms. Krick said. “… We worked with her many years ago, and know she is splendid. We hope to take the performance to a whole new level with her visual expertise.”

Junior Jazzlyn Jasper is part of In Sync’s Nutcracker. She said that she has been performing with In Sync for 9 years.

I’m excited to perform the party scene and to wear the amazing costumes,” she said.  

Grace McDaniel, a sophomore, said that she has gone to see all three previous Nutcracker performances, and yet is still looking forward to this year’s.

“I am looking forward to watching, and I wouldn’t miss it,” McDaniel said.

Ms. Krick explained that keeping the production new and fresh is what makes the show interesting to audiences year after year. 

“Three amazing choreographers, led by the studio’s owner and director Miss Jessie Krick … choreographed the entire production,” Ms. Krick said. “The performance is completely re-choreographed every single year …  (so it is) a must-see every year.”

She elaborated just a bit on the differences in this weekend’s show.

“The story this year is a little more devious and evil than past years,” she hinted. “That’s all we can really say. They’ll have to come and see the changes. … So come out, enjoy one of the holiday’s biggest traditions, see an incredible performance, and help local children!”

For more information on ticket pricing and times, you can check out In Sync’s website, www.insyncdanceofauburn.com.