Auditions send dancers twirling into next year’s class

Freshman Jenna Watson leaps during a Dance II audition. Photo by Morgan Ham

Bear River’s dance program is preparing for next year with a whirlwind Dance 2 audition last Friday.

According to English and Dance Teacher Joyce Gouveia, the auditions took place in the small gym after school, from about 2:45 p.m. through 5 p.m. She said 29 students participated in the process of warm-ups, tendus, pirouettes, leaps, and on-the-spot choreography to earn a place in the next-level class.

Three-year Dance 2 member and junior Jenille Cayton said that she’s looking forward to next year.

“I wasn’t nervous, I was actually kind of excited because this will be my fourth year in Dance 2,” she said. “… I’m excited for all the new dances, especially since I’m probably going to choreograph another dance this year since I’m already choreographing one this year.”

Sophomore Karissa Johnson said that while this was her first time trying out, she felt fairly confident in her abilities.

“I was a little nervous at first, but once I got started dancing, the nerves kinda went away,” Johnson said. “I’m just excited to learn more dance moves and be practicing at a higher level.”

Ms. Gouveia talked about how different next year’s group will be.

“There’s a bunch of seniors graduating, first of all,” she explained. “Nine seniors leaving. And then I have a few kids that are not coming back because it didn’t work with their schedule. I have a couple people that are in the class now that aren’t returning.”  

She went on to describe the new group coming in.

“It’s a building year, so we’re just going to plan on people working really hard and just becoming better every single day,” she said. “…There were a couple people I didn’t know, and they had obviously danced before, so that was exciting. So I think it’s just going to be a building year, I think we’re going to be okay.”

Jenna Laplante, a sophomore, is currently taking Dance 2 thinks the influx of new dancers is a good thing for the class.

“I feel like it’s going to be a lot of newer people,” she said.” …I think they’ll be good. I think we’re good. It’ll be great.”

Ms. Gouveia said that she values hard work and passion over technique.

“I just look forward to people who love to dance, and want to do it,” she said.

If you missed out on the audition, and still want to take Dance 2, Ms. Gouveia said that she will be holding one more audition next Wednesday, February 21, during Bruin Time, for anyone who couldn’t make it to the first one.