School closure offers icy day off

Bear River High School was closed Monday due to a snow day closure in the Nevada County Joint Unified High School District. Photo by Sonora Slater

While many Bruins said that there was a lack of snow for their snow day, school was cancelled today due to icy road conditions and snow in certain areas of our district.

According to the National Weather Service, there is a possibility of 3-5 inches of total snow accumulation in Grass Valley today, 3 inches in Nevada City, and in Alta Sierra about 1 inch. They say it’s supposed to be back to rain tomorrow, with a chance of more snow later in the week.

Due to the inability of many vehicles to travel on the roads, the Nevada Joint Union High School District’s Superintendent Dr. Louise Johnson decided to call a snow day. Bear River’s Principal Dr. Amy Besler posted on Facebook this morning to relay the closure.

“Today is a snow day, Bruins,” she said. “Be safe out there and we’ll see you again tomorrow!”

Bruins described their initial reaction to the news.

“I’m very excited about this snow day,” said Freshman Isabella Bardo. “I haven’t seen it snow in Grass Valley in so long.”

Fellow Freshman Emily Christenson said that she had mixed emotions.

“It’s nice to be able to get to sleep in,” said Christenson. “Though, we could be missing some valuable time in class.”

Sophomore Grace McDaniel said that the day off is a little strange for her.  

“I feel like this snow day was unnecessary for Bear River because I got no snow at my house,” she said. “…That being said, I understand why we took a snow day, because some people in the district did get snow and weren’t going to be able to make it to school.”

Others said that they agreed that while it wasn’t needed for them, it was needed for many others.

“The snow day wasn’t necessary for me because it was just raining at my house, but it was probably necessary for people at higher elevations,” said Senior Stephanie Merrill.   

Many said that they thought it was necessary due to dangerous road conditions, and expressed their worry for student drivers.

“I feel like the snow day was necessary because of how slippery the roads are,” said Sophomore Gracie Terrell. “It can get really dangerous and unsafe for the students that have to drive themselves, especially if they are just starting to drive.”

Sophomore Delilah Fulton said that she agreed with Terrell.

“The roads are icy, and it’s better to just play it safe,” she said.

Bruins said that they have made the best of this unexpected day off.

“I plan to spend my day playing outside with my dogs and studying for tests,” said Senior Abby Weir.

Others said that they used the day productively, as well.

“I’m spending my snow day helping my parents move into the new house and painting,” said Terrell.
Besides productivity, relaxation was another popular activity.

“I’m spending my snow day relaxing (and) catching up on homework,” said Merrill.

Overall, Bruins said that they enjoyed the break, and were happy with the opportunity to prepare for the week ahead.

“I personally love snow days,” said Freshman Elaina Wargala. “School can be really stressful sometimes, and the motivation to go to school really isn’t there towards the end of the year. So it’s really nice to have a random day off like this.”

— Sonora Slater contributed to this report.