Annual Talent Show impresses for charity

The Hype, which includes Trevor Chandler, a senior, Lukas Brodie, a senior, Cal Wilson, a junior, and Matt Snyder, a senior, perform at the annual Bear River Talent Show. Photo by Taylor Wohlgemuth

Students and staff were dazzled by the 12th Annual Talent Show organized by Bear River Key Club.

February 22, 2018, marked the opening day of the Bear River Talent Show. Talent Show producer and Social Studies Teacher Jeffery Carrow described how he thought the show went this year.

“I thought the Talent Show went really, really well,” he said. “It was one of my favorite two nights; I think, just the caliber of the acts, the fun that everybody had, the sheer enjoyment from the performers, and of course the audience participation and their enjoyment, just made it a completely positive experience on so many levels.”

The Talent Show seemed to be a hit for everyone who went. Acts such as school bands, solo singers, and dancers stunned the crowd. The people watching the show weren’t the only ones having fun; the student stars of the show also said they had a great time.

Senior Lukas Brodie expressed what a good time he had, and how he wishes more people would be in the Talent Show.

“I had a good time in all the acts I performed in,” said Brodie. “I hope more people feel more comfortable in their own skin showing their talents in front of the whole school.”

Jack Kendall, a junior, explained how she felt before going on stage.

“It felt pretty nerve-racking but it felt fun because, once you were on stage and you were dancing, then you had people cheering at like random points in time,” Kendall said. “It was fun, it made me happy!”

Junior Layla Ray agreed with Kendall and likes the cheering the most.

“I liked when, at random points, when everyone would cheer,” said Ray. “And then at the end when everyone stood up and started cheering. I got half the crowd to stand up on my solo, which was pretty cool.”

The Talent Show not only provides entertainment, but also provides money for charities and organizations such as South Yuba River Citizens League, the Joe and Jude scholarship fund, and many others.

“Definitely a couple thousand for the charities like SYRCL ( South Yuba River Citizens League), KVMR (radio station), and the Hospitality Homeless Shelter, and the Nevada County Child Advocates, and of course that scholarship fund for Joe and Jude,” Mr. Carrow said. “I’ve kind of estimated that the Talent Show has raised over 20 to 25,000 dollars for charity in the 12 years that I’ve been doing it, and so it’s something that is very dear to my heart, and it’s something that I’m really proud to be a part of, and, you know, I just think its great.”

Overall, the show was a great success, Mr. Carrow said. Students, staff, and community members all had a fun time while raising money for charity.