Librarians go above, beyond for Bruins

Bear Rivers Librarian, Josie Andrews taking her time on deciding what book she wants to read next. Photo by Bella Ferrari

When you think of a library, you tend to imagine a stereotypical, matronly librarian who enjoys shushing students while making their lives a living hell.

Not at Bear River. Bear River’s library is home to two of our most supportive staff members, who take pride in their work and make a difference in many students’ lives. Josie Andrews, a Bear River Librarian and teacher, gave some insight on what she does here at Bear River.

“My official job is teacher/librarian at Bear River High School,” Mrs. Andrews said. “That includes a little bit of teaching, selecting books, making sure I have good resources for students, making sure students know how to do research, digital literacy, getting new tech tools, and to ensure that people always have a safe place to come and hang out.”

Jessica Dax, Bear River’s Library Assistant, also shed light on her official job.

“My official title is library assistant,” Ms. Dax said.“I’m basically in charge of the Chromebooks and the textbooks, and I help in the library.”

Even though their jobs entails certain undertakings, both librarians participate in all aspects of the school and go out of their way to be involved.

“I always try to volunteer for school dances,” Mrs. Andrews said. “…I’m on the school site council, I try to go to board meetings, and I try to make sure I go to a couple of games and performances every year. None of those are required by my job, I just like to do it.”

Ms. Dax elaborated on Mrs. Andrew’s statement.

“We try to be a safe space for students to come to,” Ms. Dax said. “We listen to their issues if it doesn’t need to be addressed at the front office or anything. We also have snacks for students if they’re hungry. Really, we just try to help you guys (the students) as much as we can. You know, if you can’t pay for a print job, we’ll cover it. Things like that.”

Julia Halverson, a junior, expressed how the librarians have affected her Bear River experience.

“They’ve made it really great,” Halverson said. “Both Josie and Ms. Dax, they’re really nice people. They’ll always help you out if you need it. Whenever I’m having a bad day or something like that, they always help me out.”

Jaycee Andersen, a sophomore, said that she agreed with Halverson.

“They’re really great to be around,” Andersen said. “They make my high school experience more fun and happy. Both of them are very helpful and very kind.”

Layla Ray, a junior, said that the librarians are always there for students.

“I love both of the librarians,” she said. “I really appreciate their dedication to the kids.”

Halverson had a similar view.

“I just appreciate that they’re always there,” Halverson said. “People don’t realize it, but, if they weren’t here, it would be so much different. So much harder. They’re really great people.”

Mrs. Andrews shared her favorite aspect of working here at Bear River.

“I just love working with the students,” said Mrs. Andrews.

Students said that the librarians have majorly affected their lives.

“The librarians have affected my life in a huge way,” Ray stated. “They keep me going, and make me strive harder for what I want to do.”