Bruins eager to dance amongst stars at prom

Senior Dylan Hayes asks Sophomore Madison Mantooth to prom with Disney fun. Photo by Kalei Owen

Upperclassmen at Bear River are excited to Gogh to the Starry Night themed prom this Saturday.

According to Leadership Teacher Matt Macdonald, the dance will take place at the Foothill Event Center in Grass Valley on the evening of April 28th, from 7:30 to about 10:30. He said that the Starry Night painting by Vincent Van Gogh inspired the theme of prom. The decorations will involve lots of blues and yellows, and that the venue will have an outdoor space as well as an elegant interior.

“I think it’s going to be a really fun evening,” he said. “… there’s a lot of parking that’s close to the building which is nice, it’s really cool inside, beautiful structure, layout…  [and] we booked a really good DJ.”

Junior Amy Burcham expressed her excitement for the prom, but also her dissatisfaction with the choice of location.

“I am super excited for prom, because it’s my first prom,” Burcham said. “… But my opinion is that it should be closer and not in Grass Valley, because I know last year they did it in LOP, and I think that was a great idea because it was so easy to get there.”

Mr. Macdonald agreed about the convenience of Lake of the Pines, but explained the change.

“We had to move the prom up a little bit,” he said. “That’s why we changed venues, because Lake of the Pines had an event going on on the weekend that we had to do it. Next weekend is the dance show, the weekend after that is playoffs for different spring sports, so really we were kinda like pigeonholed into this one weekend.”

Junior Jazzlyn Jasper said that she trusts Mr. Macdonald to put on a fantastic dance, and that she has seen the Leadership class do great work in the past.

“I was born ready for prom,” she said. “I’m just so excited to dress all fancy, and wear makeup… I’m excited. I think it’s gonna be great, because I trust Macdonald and his Leadership team.”

Despite distaste for the venue location, several students said that they can see that hard work has been put into preparing for Saturday.

“I think there has been a lot of effort put into it,” said Senior Kaitlyn Maddux. “For me personally, I’m just not really into that type of stuff, but I think it’ll be fun for everybody.”

Fellow Senior Chandler Looper mentioned that he appreciated the fact that it doesn’t seem like a one-sided matter.

“They did a whole survey to see what people want, and it seems like they’re getting a lot of people involved,” he said. “It seems like they’re putting a lot of effort into it.”

Mr. Macdonald listed the names of the main organizers for the event, and said that truly, prom is student-driven.

“Predominantly the main four people would be our Senior Class officers,” he said. “… that would be Itzel, Lucy, Stephanie Merrill, and Aubree Knox… They kind of led the charge on the whole concept, the theme, everything, and then Leadership’s just trying to support them when they can.”