Bruins to highlight comedy in production of “Legally Blonde”

Play+Director+Sara+Noah+sits+with+Junior+Alyssa+Harroun+and+Senior+Bella+Christmon+during+rehearsals+for+Legally+Blonde.+Photo+by+Martin+Foster+
Play Director Sara Noah sits with Junior Alyssa Harroun and Senior Bella Christmon during rehearsals for “Legally Blonde.” Photo by Martin Foster

In this year’s musical, “Legally Blonde,” the only crime being committed is assault with laughter.

According to Drama Teacher and Play Director Sara Noah, production has begun on the comedic “Legally Blonde,” and the performance will take place at the Bear River Theater on November 8th-17th.

Mrs. Noah explained how she casts roles, having gone through the audition process only recently to decide which Bruin will be portraying which character in “Legally Blonde.” 

“I never precast a show,” she said. “I try to see as many students as I can for each part, because I like to see what students bring to each character that they read or sing… Have fun, and don’t be afraid to make mistakes.”

She went on to specify what she’s looking for when casting a musical as compared to a play.

“For musicals, I want to see the full package, someone who can sing, move well, and also act,” Mrs. Noah said. “Singing will depend on vocal range of the singer and the range of the role. I like to see sparkly dancers: lots of energy, smiles, and fun.”  

Mrs. Noah also said that she wanted to emphasize the openness of auditions to any and all Bear River students.

“Contrary to some incorrect assumptions, Theater Arts class is NOT the production,” she said.  “Being in shows is an extracurricular activity, and to assume the class is the show is like assuming that PE classes are the football team. Everyone at Bear River is invited to come out and audition for the shows.”

Junior Jaycee Andersen will be playing the part of Pilar, one of Elle Woods’ ‘sidekicks.’ She encouraged her peers to take a risk and try out for Bear River’s next production.

“I’d definitely say that [being in a play is] such a fun thing,” she said. “You’ll never ever forget doing it… You may be nervous to do it, but put yourself out there because once you do it’s so worth it.”

The only risk, of course, is the possibility of failure— but Mrs. Noah mentioned that if you aren’t cast the first time, you certainly should not give up immediately. She also said that you should be willing to play whatever part you are assigned with enthusiasm.

Senior Mackenzie Martin will be playing the lead role of Elle Woods, and she said that she is very excited for this opportunity that she has been given.

“[Legally Blonde is] a good movie,” she said. “… And also I’m blonde! … I’m really excited for everything, I just love it.”

Mrs. Noah, along with a couple of other cast members, went on to share what they are most excited for in the weeks ahead.

“I love the process of putting all the pieces together,” she said. “ … I love seeing the actors grow as a team as they learn to trust each other and work togetherwe definitely become a family because we all work together so closely.  For me the best part is actually rehearsal rather than performance!”

“I’m looking forward to bonding with the cast and becoming closer with all the people in it,” said Freshman Griffen Dresbach-Hill. “I’m playing Emmet, Elle’s second boyfriend, and I’m excited for the song that he gets to sing.”

“It’s just a really good cast, and I’m really excited to get close to people and make new friends,” said Andersen.

After describing what the cast has to look forward to in the coming rehearsals, Mrs. Noah went on to describe what the audience members of the play have to look forward to if they come see it performed in mid-November.

“This is a very fun play full of upbeat music, comic situations, and strong positive messages,” Mrs. Noah said. “I am sure some people are familiar with the movie, so that may pique interest in seeing the stage play… Keep live theater alive at Bear River!”