Longtime district employee appointed interim principal

Longtime district employee Bruce Kinseth is the acting interim principal at Bear River High School. Photo by Maddie Meilinger

With the back to school rush in full swing, nobody expected the resignation of Bear River’s Principal Dr. Amy Besler. On the first day of school, Wednesday, August 15, Dr. Besler announced in an email to parents that she was leaving for a new education position in Elk Grove.

Taking Dr. Besler’s empty position for the moment will be longtime district employee Bruce Kinseth. On Tuesday, September 4, Mr. Kinseth was appointed Interim Principal by the Nevada Joint Union High School District.

Mr. Kinseth had worked for the district for over 30 years before retiring in 2013.

“My career in education consisted of 27 years in the classroom as a high school science teacher,” said Mr. Kinseth. “I have taught many different subjects in Science, including Biology, Life Science, Earth Science, Space Science, Environmental Studies, Geology, and Integrated Science. Following those 27 years, I worked as a high school assistant principal for 11 more years.”

Having worked in the district previously, he has the advantage of already knowing some of his new co-workers.

“Mr. Kinseth and I worked together at Nevada Union for many years,” said Assistant Principal Cathy Peterson. “We both started working in administration the same year, 2001, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time working with him. He is a man of great integrity, and he loves working with students. He is very reasoned in his decision making, he is compassionate, and he is very fair. I truly cherish all of the years we have worked together.”

Mr. Kinseth had never worked in a small school before, and was excited about the new experience.

“While I had a successful and enjoyable career working in a large high school, I have always wanted the opportunity to work in a high school with a smaller student body and staff,” said Mr. Kinseth. “Smaller schools make it easier to get to know students, staff, and parents. It is easier to develop a ‘family feel’ when everybody knows and supports each other. I have only been here at Bear River for a couple of days, and I have already experienced a warm welcome and best wishes from students and the wonderful staff.”

Though students miss Dr. Besler, many are looking forward to seeing what new leadership can bring to the table.

“Dr. Besler was great, and was always fun to be around, but I am excited to see what the new principal has in store,” said Junior Hannah James.

Though the new interim principal will only be here for a short time, he plans to keep the school moving in the right direction.

“I realize I am only here for a relatively short period of time,” said Mr. Kinseth. “There are many good programs here at Bear River currently underway. My goal for the school is to keep things moving forward that are working well and benefiting students and their families. I am here to serve and support the needs of the students and staff of Bear River, and grateful for the opportunity to do so.”

So far, students have had very positive opinions about Mr. Kinseth.

“He’s very nice,” said Senior Julia Halverson.

Others agreed with Halverson.

“I really like him, he’s great,” said Scout Pettitt.

Some students appreciated what Mr. Kinseth has done to reach out to the students.

“I appreciate how he came and talked to all the classes and introduced himself,” said Sophomore Nick Baltz. “He’s cool.”

Mr. Kinseth wasn’t only a teacher during his time at Nevada Union High School.

“Outside of the classroom, I had a 20-year football coaching career while I was teaching at Nevada Union,” he said.

Mr. Kinseth reflected that he was just talking about how much he missed work when he got the phone call for the interim position.

“Less than 2 weeks ago, I shared with my wife (whom also is a retired student activities director, student government, and student leadership teacher) that I was missing working with high school students,” said Mr. Kinseth. “The following week, I received a phone call from the leadership at the Nevada Joint Union High School District office. During that phone call, I was asked if I would be interested in filling the position of interim principal as the school searches for and hires a new permanent principal. I was honored and excited about the possibility of coming here to work with all of you, students and staff. Needless to say, I accepted the offer.”