Cross Country starting line welcomes new coach

Head Cross Country Coach Skyler Mousely talks to Bear River runners. Photo by Karissa Johnson

Taking off with a running start, new Cross Country Coach Skyler Mousely has been introduced into the Bruin family.

Coach Mousely was hired after the previous coach, Kevin Vasquez, was hired as a full-time Cross Country coach at Placer High School. 

Grace McDaniel, a junior, expressed her warm welcome to Coach Mousely.

“I really like the new coach, he gets along with us really well and is great at encouraging us to do our best,” she said.

Coach Mousely explained what he is most excited for this season.

“The students are awesome [and] the staff are awesome as well,” he said. “I’m looking forward to going out and getting some more experience, and seeing the students and athletes evolve in their sport and in their passion for what they like to do.”

Sophomore Elaina Wargala explained what she would like to accomplish during this season.

“I was a little nervous at the beginning of the season because we had a new coach this year and because [the] races and the workouts are always intense,” she said. “So that’s kind of nerve-wracking. This season, I’m hoping that the varsity girls team wins PVL’s this year. I think we have a chance, and I believe that if we work hard, we can do it.”

Coach Mousely explained what his bond with the runners is like.

“I think [my relationships with them are] pretty good,” he said. “I hope it is. They’re awesome, and it’s been awesome so far.”

Justin Roberts, a junior, compared Coach Mousely to their past coach.

“Our new coach isn’t too terribly different compared to our last coach,” he said. “They were both kind and humorous. The new coach is nice and funny, making sure not to push us too hard.”

Coach Mousely described his past experiences with coaching.

“This is my first time coaching a big organized high school sport like this,” he said. “My experience comes from my own competition in running and in other high school sports, even a little bit in college sports as well.”

Along with a new coach comes a new way of training for the season. McDaniel compared this year’s regime with previous years.

“Coach Mousley is definitely more laid back than Vasquez was, but he still motivates us through encouragement and has helped us all improve this season,” she said. “[He] motivates me to do my best by reminding me how important each person is to our team.”

Roberts highlighted what he believed is great about Coach Mousely.

“He just makes sure we do our workouts and makes sure we aren’t going too easy,” he said. “So he’s challenging us to do our best — even in practice.”

Coach Mousely explained how he plans to tie in Bear River’s core value “Community” into the team.

“I think there is a lot that we can do starting right here with the team as far as the overall image,” he said. “… Putting a well put together team out on the course and off the course … as [well as] doing anything we can to help.”

Wargala explained what her favorite memories were with Coach Mousely.

“One of my favorite memories from this season so far is when we got to jump in Coach Mousley’s pool after our run,” she said. “Another one of my favorite memories so far is when Varsity runners got to help out at the Magnolia Cross Country meets.”

Roberts agreed with Wargala.

“Probably finishing practice and everyone’s talking about how practice was [is] pretty much the best part of it,” he said.

Wargala extended her hopes for the team’s success this season.

“I’m looking forward to this year’s cross country season and I hope for the best with our team’s future,” she said.