Girls Golf team swings into action

Junior Sarah Aanenson and Freshman Julia Pisenti chip on the practice green at LOP. Photo by Kalei Owen

The Girls Golf team is heading into the 2018 season with lots of confidence.

With a successful preseason, the team said that they are excited and optimistic about the games to come, and even hope to become the league champions this year. Coach Gayne Nakano said that he is confident in the ability of the team.

“I think we have a very strong team, [and] I think we should have a very good chance of winning the league,” Coach Nakano said.

Senior Madison Templeton acknowledged the strength of the new additions to the team.

“We have some really good freshmen that just joined the team, and I think we’re just pretty strong overall,” she said.

Coach Nakano also talked about the positive outcome of the first preseason game.

“Preseason went well, we only had one preseason match,” he said. “We played well. We won 215 to 252 or something like that.”

Senior Nicolette Antisdel agreed.

“I think it went pretty well,” she said.

The first match, the team met a school record.

“… We played Marysville and we had a school record,” he said. “The school record was 197, and we beat them 197 to 310. So the team is very good.”

Freshman Julia Pisenti also recognized the team’s accomplishments.

“[We’ve] been having a lot of progression throughout the preseason, and, in fact, yesterday was one of our matches, and we had a school record, I think,” said Julia.

Helen Sands, a sophomore, noticed the progression of the team’s skills.

“Preseason went really well,” she said. ”We’ve actually been doing really well in our matches, and [our] practices are going really well, everybody is improving.”

Coach Nakano is confident about the strength of his team.

“Yeah, I think we have a very strong team,” he said. “I think we should have a very good chance of winning the league. As long as nobody gets hurt, we should be fine.”

Pisenti agrees with Coach Nakano, and believes in the ability of the team.

“Yeah, I’m definitely confident,” she said. “I think we have one of the better teams of the league, and I think we’re shooting really low scores, so that’s great. I think we’re going to go really far.”

Coach Nakano tells about the team’s second game.

“Now we’re in [the] league, we played Lindhurst and their beginning team,” he said. “We played really well there. We shot a 215 there, also.”

Antisdel was proud of her performance and improvement since the first game.

“… I got a better score than I did the last time,” she said.

Pisenti is also proud with the personal progress she has made.

“I’m very happy with the progression I’ve made over time,” she said.

Templeton tells about the team’s first PVL tournament of the season.

“On Monday, [September 24th], we [had] our first PVL tournament … we won against Colfax, Marysville, and Lindhurst,” she said. “So we did good, and we beat them.”

The team has a positive outlook for the rest of the season.

“We have a lot of really great players that are really committed, and I think that everybody really wants to do well, which is one of the greatest factors to succeeding,” Sands said.