Bruins prepare for oncoming flu season

District Nurse Becky Bronswick checks on Sophomore Cody Ketchum. Photo by Bella Ferrari

Sneezing and coughing fills the halls. With frosty weather on its way, a big concern for Bruins is avoiding colds.

Becky Bronswick, RN, Credentialed School Nurse for the Nevada Joint Union High School District, explained the habits students should be practicing to stay healthy.

“With the goal of keeping us all healthy, it is important to practice good health habits,” said Ms. Bronswick. “I would like to remind you of the importance of proper hand washing for the prevention of illness. Coughing or sneezing into a bent elbow or arm is the best practice to limit contamination. Dispose of tissues in garbage cans. Stay well hydrated by drinking plenty of water, and choose healthy foods with plenty of Vitamin C.”

Students commented on some of the habits they keep to maintain good health.

“I wash hands, take vitamins, use essential oils, eat healthily, and exercise to stay healthy,” said Junior Katelyn Lorenzo.

Besides home remedies, others depend more on flu shots and their immune systems.

“I get flu shots sometimes, but I have a good immune system and don’t get sick often,” said Sophomore Brody Russell.

Others, like Senior Nathan Farey, have more unconventional ways of avoiding illness.

“I avoid physical contact,” he said.

Ms. Bronswick commented on how viruses and colds spread.

“Cold and flu viruses and bacterial infections tend to spread quickly through a school, as students are in close quarters throughout the day and often share items within the classrooms and with each other,” she said. “Even with daily cleaning measures taking place, viruses and/or infections can spread quickly. They are transmitted directly, (kissing, sharing drinks, touching, sneezing, coughing) or indirectly by being transferred to an object (clothing, books, desks/furniture, water bottles, cell phones, vapes, etc.) which carries the infection to another student and/or staff member.”

Some students are worried about missing school due to illness, and wonder whether or not they should even stay home.

“It depends on how sick you are, because if you miss school, you get super behind, even if it’s only one day,” said Junior Becca Reese.

Others, like Junior Caitlin Royston, agreed with Reese.

“I would normally say ‘stay home,’ but with all the homework and lessons you miss when you’re out sick, it’s hard to say nowadays,” said Royston.

Ms. Bronswick commented on students staying home.

“In an effort to protect the health of all of our students and staff, we are asking that if your student has a fever or symptoms of the flu, they stay home,” she said. “By staying home, you will recover more quickly and can prevent the spread of infection. Students should be free from fever for at least 24 hours before returning to school.”

Some Bruins share Ms. Bronswick’s perspective on staying home.

“They need to rest and get themselves better,” said Lorenzo. “If they come when they’re sick, they will get themselves sicker and get others sick as well.”

Others agree, but think that teachers should be more sympathetic and accommodating towards sick students.

“Yes, students should definitely stay home from school when they are sick,” said Junior Karissa Johnson. “If they come to school sick, it gets other students sick, and then sometimes their families get sick and infect other people. Staying home from school is really hard for a lot of students. When students stay home, they also get a lot of homework, so teachers should be more accommodating to students who can’t attend school when they are sick.”

The symptoms of the flu, according to Ms. Bronswick, are fever, nausea, headache, muscle and body aches, chills, sore throat, vomiting, diarrhea, exhaustion, and a dry cough.