Key Club plans for charitable holiday season

Key+Club+Supervisor+Jeff+Carrow+shows+his+class+the+contents+of+one+of+the+shoeboxes+that+he+packed+for+Operation+Christmas+Child.++Photo+by+Zach+Fink.+
Key Club Supervisor Jeff Carrow shows his class the contents of one of the shoeboxes that he packed for Operation Christmas Child. Photo by Zach Fink.

Participation in community service is the Key to unlocking a better future.

The Bear River High School Key Club plans many opportunities to help out the community during the holiday season each and every year.

“The Key Club is a bunch of people who are interested in doing something other than whatever comes to them,” said Senior and President Brittney Rogers. “They want to make a difference in the world.”

Another student gave her thoughts on Key Club.

“It’s a good way of helping out,” said Senior and Vice President Massiel Chavez. “It’s nice to be able to help kids- kids at Bear River, kids at Nevada Union, kids who can’t afford Christmas gifts.”

Bruins shared some things that they do in the winter to give back to the community.

“Operation Christmas Child is when you get an old shoe box and put in necessities for children, like hairbrushes, toothbrushes, socks, little toys, and school supplies,” said Rogers. “They get sent to children around the world.”

Jeff Carrow, teacher at Bear River and Advisor of the Key Club for the last 20 years, gave more information on his goal for Operation Christmas Child this year. 

“Operation Christmas Child has been going on for about 15 years,” said Mr. Carrow. “I push it a lot because I would like to set a new school record on that for 50 or more boxes.”

Mr. Carrow explained what part he plays in the project. 

“I load [the shoeboxes] into my truck on Wednesday, November 14, and take it to the First Baptist Church across from Nevada Union High School,” he said. “There is also a $9 shipping donation to go with these boxes.”

Mr. Carrow talked about the Adopt-A-Family program he organizes each year.

“I organize the Adopt-A-Family; I get in touch with Salvation Army, and they give me a list of around 15 families’ profiles with a wishlist,” said Mr. Carrow. “These are families right here in Nevada County who are less fortunate, and they give us a list of gifts they would like for Christmas.”

Chavez explained what sort of things Adopt-A-Family involves.

“Carrow will pick a family or two who are in need, and everyone in the class will get them something, like socks for dolls, books, nice gifts for the family, bikes, expensive shoes,” said Chavez. “Other classes will join in as well.”

Mr. Carrow explained how these programs become successful here at Bear River.

“I will get in touch with any clubs or classes who would be interested in adopting a family, like, sometimes FFA will adopt a family, some sports teams will, sometimes the office will adopt a family or two as well,” said Mr. Carrow. “Those individuals are then responsible with buying those gifts and wrapping them … Some day in early December, I put the gifts in my truck and take those over to the Salvation Army.”

Mr. Carrow also talked about a few other charities Key Club members assist.

“Key Club itself is really involved with the Nevada County child advocate program,” said Mr. Carrow. “They take care of kids who are in challenged situations, like abusive families. That always touches close to the heart.”

Senior Layla Stroer described why she loves being in Key Club.

“It’s just a fun way to get involved with the community,” she said.

Mr. Carrow encouraged Bruins to join. 

“We take members all year round,” he said. “[You] get involved in community service … It’s just the right thing to do, you can put it on an academic resume, there are people specifically benefiting from this, and it helps the community.”