Cheer team keeps spirits high

Bear+River+cheerleaders+are+ready+to+pump+up+the+crowd.++Photo+by+Maddie+Meilinger+
Bear River cheerleaders are ready to pump up the crowd. Photo by Maddie Meilinger

Bear River’s cheer team has been conquering all competition during this year’s season.

Senior Brittney Rogers, one of the cheer captains, and a cheerleader for the past 11 years, explained why she thinks they’re doing so well this year.

“I think cheer is having a great season because we are practicing hard and we have great coaches,” explained Rogers. “We have a new co-coach this year, so it’s nice to have someone to help us with new ideas and a different viewpoint.”

Although the team has been trumping their competition, Rogers didn’t hesitate to point out that there is still room for improvement, as well as challenges to overcome that the team, and she, still face.

“The biggest challenge for the team is when girls have to miss a game,” Rogers said. “Cheer isn’t like most sports, because, when one girl isn’t there, the entire team is unable to perform the routine. Of course, people have obligations, but it is very frustrating for the rest of the team when we work hard on a routine, but are unable to perform.”

She also elaborated on her personal struggles as cheer captain.

“Personally, the biggest challenge for me is making up new routines,” she said. “It’s definitely a challenge to make a routine that the fans will enjoy and the girls will have fun doing… our job is to get the fans excited about the game.”

Natalie Thompson, a senior, added on with her own thoughts regarding the team’s captains, highlighting specifically her appreciation for this year’s cheer routines. 

“We have good captains that come up with amazing routines,” Thompson said. “Last year, we didn’t get much work done, but this year, it feels like a real team.”

One of Bear River’s cheer coaches, Jordan Scott, expressed her feelings of pride toward her team.

I’m very proud of my girls all the time, but I’m most proud of the way that they all make sure to stay on top of their grades and are good examples of student athletes for Bear River,” said Coach Scott.

She continued with the fact that any team, no matter the sport, is never perfect, and there is always room for improvement.

“There is always room for improvement in all aspects of every sport,” Coach Scott said. “For my team this year, I think that they can improve on their stunting abilities. You control two things your attitude and effort.” 

Rogers shared what her favorite part of being on the cheer team is.

“The best part of being on the cheer team is the feeling of performing,” said Rogers. “The best feeling is when we hit a routine perfectly.”

Freshman Madison Stuart explained the reasons behind why she loves to be a member of the team.

“The best part of being on the cheer team is that we all work together,” explained Stuart. “There are so many bonds, and we all stick together. I want to thank Jordan Scott for not only being my coach, but also like a second mom to me, and for listening to me when I need to say something- and to all the girls for being my best friends.”