Swing into the Night fundraiser provided a fun-filled evening

Junior Katie Desplancke focuses on her music along with Sophomore Noah Dunhower and Freshman Oliver Myers. Courtesy photo

On Saturday, December 1, Jazz Band stole the spotlight with their annual Swing into the Night fundraiser held at Bear River.

Students had many positive comments about the outcome and the profits of the event. Senior Evan Naves explained what he thought about it.

“I think it went fantastic,” he said. “It was really fun just to see my friends dance and swing dance with some of my other friends and just seeing all those faces in the crowd just having a good time. It just really seemed like a very soulful event and it just seemed like everyone was happy.”

Freshman Allisyn Roddie, who attended the fundraiser, described how the event went from the customer perspective. 

“I think the fundraiser went really good, because a lot of people were nice enough to donate,” she said.

Naves explained why people of all ages are encouraged to attend this fun event.

“It’s just honestly one of the best date ideas you could ever have or even just with friends,” he said.

Roddie talked about what her favorite part of the fundraiser was.

“I loved the dessert table!” she said. “It was really great.”

Sophomore Sophia Cienfuegos thought about how the fundraiser could be improved.

“A lot of older couples went,” she said. “I feel like if a lot of younger people came, it would be a lot more fun for them.”

Similar to all events, publicity is key to the outcome of the fundraiser. Naves described how this aspect could boost the result of the event next year.

“Personally I think we should have promoted it in a better way because we didn’t have too much recognition of it,” he said. “I think people could have known more about it.”

Cienfuegos shared Naves’ thoughts.

“[I think we should] just probably advertise more,” she said.

Naves explained how the profits will help the music program.

“The funds will definitely help us with stuff as far as cosmetics and equipment for helping us with repairs and new equipment for when things break down,” he said. “It’ll really help us be motivated to play more, especially because new equipment is exciting.”

Lydia Fuller-Hall, a junior, expanded on how the profits would help.

“It will help pay for more music, which makes sure we have better concerts and have more music for the concerts,” she said. “We also get money for our trips, so we also get our name out in the music industry and the music world. We also get new outfits sometimes so we look more up to date and professional.”

As a final thought, Naves explained his overall experience at Swing into the Night.

“It was very fun to play with all that energy in the room and even dance when I had the moment to and it was just very successful I think,” he said. “I would just encourage everyone to go to these events, because they’re really exciting no matter how [old] anyone is and it’s just such a good time.”