Course Preview Day offers sneak peek of Bruins’ futures

Bruins+will+soon+be+selecting+their+courses+for+the+2019-20+school+year%2C+including+electives+such+as+Ag+Mechanics.++Photo+by+Bella+Ferrari.+
Bruins will soon be selecting their courses for the 2019-20 school year, including electives such as Ag Mechanics. Photo by Bella Ferrari.

Many Bruins are curious about what new classes will be offered each year, wanting to make sure that they have fun exploring new electives while simultaneously staying on course with graduation and college requirements.

Course Preview Day is one way to accomplish just that according to Counselor Bethany Williams, on this day in the third quarter each school year, students have the opportunity to preview four classes that they’re considering taking in the future. They are able to meet the teacher, get a glimpse into the class material, and learn what they need to accomplish in the remainder of the school year in order to qualify for various courses.

Mrs. Williams said that this day takes place just before Bruins finalize their course selections, so the preview remains fresh in their minds.

“Counselors will be busy with the following timeline,” she said. “February 4th-8th, deliver Course Selection Forms and offer Q&A … February 13th, Counselors are offering a workshop from 4:30-6:00 in the Career Center to assist any families with course selection questions. Forms are due 2/14 … February 19th-22nd, Counselors are meeting with students individually to review their completed course request forms.”

“Just a reminder that it’s critical we work together as a team,” she continued. “Students and parents need to understand graduation and college admission requirements. There is fantastic information available on our website.”

Junior Grace McDaniel described how she used Course Preview Day to look ahead at the future.

“I mostly just previewed science classes, because [I’m not] sure which ones I’m going to take, but also some of the harder AP classes that I need to know what the requirements are for them,” she said.

Freshman Chelsea Herron also said that she used Course Preview Day to her advantage.

“I did Psychology, Biology, Dance, and Spanish, and I really enjoyed the Psychology one,” Herron said. “I think all of those helped kind of decide, because I got to meet the teachers and see if I’d like it.”

These Bruins also explained, generally, why they think Course Preview Day is a useful tool.

“It can be beneficial because [students] get to see what the class is going to be like and meet the teachers, so if they don’t like how the teacher teaches or something, then they can decide they don’t want to do that class,” Herron said.

“Course Preview Day is mostly just beneficial because it can … show you how you can be better prepared for next year,” said McDaniel. “People also use it to determine what kind of electives to take.”

Mrs. Williams gave her take on the day, and appeared to agree with the students.

“Course Preview gives students an opportunity to learn more about courses that might be offered the following school year,” she said. “It’s critical that students choose wisely, as our courses are year-long, and, often, it’s difficult to change a schedule once it’s set. Planning for next year is also exciting for teachers, and Course Preview allows them to share a new course they want to offer and gauge student interest.”

Meanwhile, senior Nathan Van Patten enjoyed not having to think about another year at Bear River. According to Van Patten, seniors don’t have to be at school until 9:45 on Course Preview Day, given that its purpose is irrelevant to them.

“First thing I thought about is sleep, I get to sleep in a little more, but I didn’t just sleep, I also went to coffee with some friends and stuff before,” he said. “But yeah, it was good to come here a little bit later, and knowing that I wouldn’t have to worry about my next year’s schedule.”