Music program looking for students to jump into the spotlight

Sophomore+Connor+McGehee%2C+Freshman+Griffen+Dresbach-Hill%2C+and+Senior+Evan+Waters+practice+a+song+in+Mens+Chorus.++Photo+by+Kalei+Owen.+
Sophomore Connor McGehee, Freshman Griffen Dresbach-Hill, and Senior Evan Waters practice a song in Men’s Chorus. Photo by Kalei Owen.

After doing amazing in a variety of competitions, Bear River’s music program is preparing for another amazing year of hard work, dedication, and all-around fun, encouraging any students interested in band or choir to consider joining Bear River’s music program.

A few weeks ago, band and choir took a trip to Anaheim, California, to both perform and celebrate their hard work they’ve done so far throughout the year.

Band and choir teacher, David Ahrens, shared his insights on how that competition went overall.

“The trip was very successful,” he said. “The music students performed very well. We had a lot of fun, and it was a great way to bond closer together as a group.”

Sophomore Noah Dunhower is also proud of the performance.

“Our trip to Anaheim for Music in the Parks was a great success overall and a really fun time,” he said “In terms of the competition, Jazz Band, Jazz Unlimited, and Full Concert Choir all got 1st place and were rated with scores of Excellent. Symphonic Band, however not only got 1st place, but was rated Superior (the highest rating possible). We were also awarded Best Overall Band in the whole competition. The trip as a whole was pretty hectic and we had many obstacles to overcome, but we worked through the adversity and made tons of good memories.”

“I think the Anaheim trip was spectacular for everybody,” said Sophomore Geneva Hemmert. “Overall, our performances were absolutely amazing … and it was an unforgettable trip by far.”

The music program also has some more events approaching as the year comes to a close.

“In these last few weeks of the school year, we have our choir and band concerts,” said Dunhower. “… Look out for Bruins of Note on May 31. Our bands have a lot of really good music this year that we have spent days working on, and we’d really appreciate it if you came to support our program!”

Some of the students shared whether or not they are going to be involved with Bear River Music next year, and why that is.

“I’m planning on staying in band until I graduate,” said Hemmert. “Band is a place that I find amazing friendships and skills that I wouldn’t have found on my own.”

“I’m without a doubt going to stay with the music program for the rest of my time at Bear River,” Dunhower said. “Band is  what keeps motivates me the most at school and I always enjoy being involved in it and making sure everyone else is having a good experience as well, whether it be in band or choir.”

“I will hopefully be in choir again, because everybody gets to know each other and we all are friends,” said Freshman Samantha Sevits.

They also have something to say to anyone considering joining Bear River’s band or choir.

“… I would highly recommend it to anyone if you like playing an instrument or singing,” said Dunhower. “Even if you don’t have any experience, we still need you! Since we’re a smaller school, it has quite an effect on our program and we need as many people as we can get. It’s a very fun experience and in my opinion, it’s like having a second family. … Band and choir are both perfect ways to get … credit without getting tons of work.”

“To anyone considering band or choir, I say absolutely go for it,” Hemmert said. “Even if you don’t currently know how to play an instrument, that’s what band is for! It’s for learning, growing, and gaining friendships that carry on throughout your high school career.”

Mr. Ahrens also has something he’d like to tell Bear River students interested in getting involved with band or choir.

“I would like to add that you don’t need to have experience to join a music class, so everyone out there should consider it for next year,” he said.