Rising seniors eager for upcoming year

Senior+Grace+McDaniel%2C+at+right%2C+enjoyed+a+summer+trip+to+Lake+Tahoe+with+her+sister+sophomore+Megan+McDaniel.+While+in+Lake+Tahoe%2C+Grace+McDaniel+worked+on+elevation+training+in+order+to+prepare+for+her+final+Cross+Country+season+at+Bear+River+High+School.+Courtesy+photo+
Senior Grace McDaniel, at right, enjoyed a summer trip to Lake Tahoe with her sister sophomore Megan McDaniel. While in Lake Tahoe, Grace McDaniel worked on elevation training in order to prepare for her final Cross Country season at Bear River High School. Courtesy photo

Seniors are a large part of the Bruin community. Not only do they make up around a fourth of the student population, but they’re viewed as the “top” of the school. Some of the younger students may view them as an inspiration to do well or even look to them for advice. With their final year ahead of them, Bear River’s seniors are looking forward to what this year has in store.

Matt Whiting, an incoming senior, commented on what he is most excited about for the upcoming school year.

“I am very excited to welcome new high schoolers, and be a good example to them as a senior,” he said.

As well as setting a “good example” for the new freshmen, many seniors expressed excitement for graduation, including incoming Senior Whitney Lybbert.

“I’m most excited about graduating,” she said. “[But in all seriousness] … I can’t wait for the fun things seniors get to enjoy, and to just generally be a senior.”

While seniors are able to enjoy some activities younger students at Bear River are unable to, there is also a lot of pressure on them.

History Teacher Jeff Carrow listed the many responsibilities seniors have on their plate for the upcoming year.

“Seniors have so much to be focusing on; classes, Senior Projects, colleges apps, community service, and extracurricular activities all add up to a busy year,” he said.

Some students expressed concern about these responsibilities.

“I am most nervous about choosing the right career and the college to go to for it,” Whiting said.

“I’m most nervous about finishing my senior project, and applying to colleges,” Lybbert stated.

Many seniors have high hopes to accomplish some great feats, whether athletics-based, academic, or social, despite the challenges they may encounter. 

Both Whiting and Lybbert said that they hope to do well in their separate sports, Track and Water Polo respectively. 

Brinley Jeffers, another incoming senior, had a different accomplishment she wants to achieve this coming year.

“Some things I want to accomplish this year are going to almost all school events and home games,” she said. “And live in the moment with the people I love.”

When you were younger, do you remember with every passing year changing what you wanted to be? At one point, maybe you were set on becoming an astronaut, the next being a dancer, then maybe an engineer. While it may not be the same scenario, students change a lot from their years in high school, just as kids change who they want to grow up to be. 

Mr. Carrow commented on how seniors have changed throughout their journey from being freshmen.

“Seniors truly have the experience and wisdom to lead Bear River, and as a school, we rely on that to take us through another exciting and eventful year,” he said.

Lybbert concluded how this last year would be different from all the rest.

“I think that this year is going to be quite different from all my other years in high school because people expect different things from seniors than they would from any other class,” she said.

Some incoming seniors shared what they want to make sure to do before leaving for college.

“One of the biggest things I want to do before I leave for college is to travel and volunteer in another country,” said Lybbert.

“I really want to do things with my friends after high school before we go separate ways,” Jeffers said.

“Before I move to college I plan to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints,” stated Whiting.

Mr. Carrow provided some advice for the seniors.

“My advice is to stay completely engaged and focused for the whole year, because it is challenging and amazing at the same time.”