New social studies teacher ready to make history

New+history+teacher%2C+Trent+Duffey%2C+exemplifies+his+willingness+to+help+his+students.++Photo+by+Mariah+Davidson.+
New history teacher, Trent Duffey, exemplifies his willingness to help his students. Photo by Mariah Davidson.

This year at Bear River High School, we have met many new staff members. One of these new members the Bruin community is excited to welcome is Social Studies teacher Trent Duffey. 

Previously working at Lyman Gilmore Middle School in the Grass Valley School District as the vice principal, he is looking forward to teaching in the classroom again. Mr. Duffey is excited for this upcoming year, and his students have enjoyed the first few weeks of class with him. 

“I love it!” Junior Tanner Roberts said. “I’ve been learning a lot so far in the class.” 

“I like it a lot,” Cadyn Wilson, a fellow junior informed. “He seems like a cool person.” 

Students are not the only ones looking forward to this year. Mr. Duffey described his experience so far as an integral part of the community.

“It has been a wonderful adjustment to be back in the classroom on a daily basis,” Mr. Duffey said. “I really enjoy the students and staff, and I’m impressed at how friendly everyone here has been!” 

As he was hired a week before school started, adjusting back to teaching in the classroom again was not easy for Mr. Duffey as he did not have much time to set up his classroom or prepare. He managed to prepare in time for school to start thanks to his wife and kids, who helped him decorate and move in furniture. 

“It’s been a whirlwind getting my classroom ready and moving everything,” Mr. Duffey confessed. “But I’m really excited to be here!”

If students have a question, Mr. Duffey is great at focusing on the topic and making sure his students understand everything he teaches, which is something that most students think other teachers lack as both Roberts and Junior Ava King admits. Students commented that Mr. Duffey is clear with his teaching and that they are never confused. 

“He actually teaches us,” King said. “He doesn’t wander off topic.”

“He’s good at knowing the needs of his students and helping them through each lesson and chapter,” Roberts said. “He’s a great teacher because he understands us.” 

One of the most important skills one should have as a teacher is to have a deep love for the subject they are teaching. Mr. Duffey not only shows his excitement for this upcoming year, but also is enthusiastic to share his love for history with them. By showing his interest in history, he commented on his hopes to connect with students on a more personal level as he commented on other activities he enjoys.

“I love sports, traveling and legos,” he says. “I’m looking forward to building positive relationships with my students and getting my curriculum dialed in.” 

It is clear that even under such short notice, and little time to set up in his classroom, Mr Duffy is adjusting well, and him and his students are really looking forward to this school year in history class. 

“I am very grateful to work here at Bear River High School- It’s literally my dream job!” Mr. Duffey said.