Bruins charge into playoffs headstrong

The Bruins prepare for playoffs after finishing the league season with a 7-3 record. Photo by Maddie Meilinger

After a win against Marysville on November 1, the Bruin Varsity Football team is headed to their first game of the 2019 Sac Joaquin Section (SJS) Playoffs. 

“[We are] very excited for the playoffs,” said Football Coach Scott Savoie. “Our team fought hard last Friday to earn a home playoff game. [For] the past five years, the Bruins have qualified for the CIF (California Interscholastic Federation) SJS Section Championship game.  That is our goal this year as well, and we feel that we have a great shot.”

“Our team is going to do well because we are coming off of a win,” said Senior Running Back Colton Jenkins. 

The first round of playoffs will start with a game on Bear River’s home field, on Friday November 8, against Highlands. 

“I feel good about hosting the first game, because we don’t have to travel anywhere and that really helps, along with playing on a field you are already familiar with as well,” said Senior Defensive Tackle Caleb Hurst. 

Jenkins shared Hurst’s excitement about playing at home, and believed that this will give them the upper hand. 

“I’m happy the game is at home because we play better at home,” said Jenkins. 

Senior Quarter Back Tre Maronic relayed similar feelings about the opportunity to play in front of the community. 

“I’m glad we get to have a home game first to play in front of our community and school one more time this season,” said Maronic. 

Coach Savoie quoted iconic movie ‘The Wizard of Oz’ when asked how he felt about opening up playoffs at home. 

“There’s no place like home,” he said. 

Unfortunately this year, after the loss to the Colfax Falcons during last year’s championship game, the Bruins will not be able to redeem themselves against their rivals in playoffs due to a drop in division. Hurst went on to explain the reason for this situation. 

“We will not play Colfax because we lost to them in the Section Championship last year which brings us down to the Division 6 playoffs,” Hurst explained. “I feel good because Division 6 can give us a pretty good run, but it also can help our chances in going to a championship game. I believe our team is going to show up and give it our all each and every game we play and try to get a ring.”

Maronic felt as though the team will go far beyond expectations.

“We’re going to do better than most people expect,” said Maronic. 

Hurst commented on what he is looking forward to most about Friday’s game.

“I am just looking forward to coming out on Friday and playing the best game I can possibly play and hopefully come out with a win,” said Hurst.

Coach Savoie issued a call to arms to the Bruin family, encouraging students and parents to come out and support the players.

“Can’t wait for tomorrow night’s kick off,” said Coach Savoie. “I would love to see the stands packed with the Bruin Nation. Come on out Bruins!”