Bruin athletes score benefits from sports

Freshman+P.E.+is+one+such+way+to+explore+multiple+sports.++Photo+by+Salvatore+Ginexi+
Freshman P.E. is one such way to explore multiple sports. Photo by Salvatore Ginexi

One of the biggest activities that are offered in public high school are the many sports that are available to play. At Bear River High School, there are many sports that are provided on campus for students who are willing to try out and put in the work it takes to be a good teammate. These student athletes can often gain more than simply athletic ability from participating.

Although Bear River does not have every sport available on campus, there are many programs outside of the school that students take advantage of, such as lacrosse, gymnastics, and more. 

“I also used to do sports outside of school,” said Freshman Brynna Vasquez. “There are so many options.” 

Some social advantages of playing sports are making new friends and becoming closer with others as a team. 

“You make friends, even if you don’t hang out with them outside of school,” Caleb Hassfeld, a freshman, said. “You just get close to people when everyone has the same goal.”

Staying in shape and exercising frequently benefit the player physically. When you exercise, your body stays healthy and happy. Playing a sport also motivates you to eat healthy and make better decisions, like sleeping more and getting good grades. 

“It keeps you in shape,” Senior Jett Livingston said. “When you keep practicing and working hard, it’s good for your body and it’s fun.” 

“I think it’s a good way to stay in shape for other activities and sports,” Senior Tre Maronic said. 

Some mental advantages to playing sports involve learning how to become a better teammate and work harder every day. You also will be happier and feel better about yourself. 

“It’s a lot of work, but I think it’s worth it in the end because it teaches a lot of different things,” Maronic commented. 

“It gives you something to think about if you’re having struggles,” Livingston said. “It distracts you because you don’t have to think about all your problems.”

“I love the competition aspect, and the physical strive to be better than the other team,”  Hassfeld said. 

“Sports are all positive and they teach time management. They also help you learn to structure and balance all of your commitments,” Matt MacDonald said, Coach of Varsity Girls Volleyball. 

Most of the time friends and family are the main reason that kids try out for sports.

“My dad inspired me to play sports,” said Maronic. “He was always a big sports guy, so I started playing sports really young.”

“I wanted to do sports because my friends were doing them, and they looked really fun,” Livingston said. 

“I play sports for the athleticism, and the competition is what I live for,” Hassfeld said.  

Many kids decided to do sports because they wanted to try something new and make friends. Trying a new sports can be scary, but once someone makes the team, makes new friends, and strive each day to become a better teammate and leader, such activity can be quite fun.

“For me, it was just kind of always a passion,” Coach MacDonald said. 

Even though each student has different reasons for loving the sports they play, they can all agree that sports are a great way to stay healthy and happy.