Soccer players weather season change

Justin Roberts, Matthew Phipps, Tommy Triplett, Connor Ronka, Matt Whiting, Alex Bohn, Nick Harrison, Nick Tan, and Christopher Burcham run drills during soccer practice. Photo by Jared Pittsley

The soccer season change is bringing an uncertain forecast.

This year Bear River’s soccer teams, both and girls, were changed from Fall sports to Winter sports. Soccer players were unsure how this would affect their game.

“In term of the weather, we are probably going to experience cold and rainy conditions,” said Junior Varsity Soccer Coach Sarah Smilowitz.

Players from earlier seasons also had concerns going into the season.

“I don’t like the change because it’s going to be cold and rainy at practice,” said Carsten Siebels, a sophomore.

“No, I don’t like the change,” said Holly Neal, a sophomore. “There’s a lot of different reasons, games get canceled, the cold, and you can get injured more in the cold.”

At least one student was positive about the change.

“I think it’s to be fun in the rain,” said Megan Pratt, a sophomore.

Other concerns with the season change is that there won’t be enough room for both girls and boys to practice on different fields, forcing the teams to share one field.

“I don’t like practicing with the boys,” said Pratt. “I think both teams should practice separately.”

“It depends, because we almost got hit while practicing. It’s going to be hard to practice on the same field,” said Neal.

Even if the season’s weather isn’t looking good, players and coaches believe that the teams are going to do great this year.

“The team is going to do awesome,” Ms. Smilowitz said. “I’m excited to see the team in.”

“We might do pretty good. We are coming together as a team and we will do good,” said Siebels.

“The girls work really hard; I think we might have a good season,” said Neal.