Cross Country gives Sections a run

Viviana Chavez, a senior, was one of three outstanding members of the Cross Country team that represented Bear River at Sections this year. Courtesy photo

Cross Country tried to race over to state for the season’s last race.

Bear River Cross Country team had three athletes that went to Sections to represent Bear River: Viviana Chavez, a senior, Anna Larson, a junior, and J.P. Bzorek, a sophomore.

“For J.P. and Anna, it was big since it was their first year running. For Viviana, it a a great moment since she wasn’t able to go to sections last year,” said Head Cross Country coach Kevin Vasquez.

Runners talked about how proud and glad they were that they made it to Sections.

“It was a great experience from me,” said Larson. “I trained hard and made it to sections by a second.”

“It was a pretty successful year for me finishing in the top ten in quite a few races,” said Bzorek.

“I’m really happy that I had this opportunity to make it to Sections for my last year of high school,” said Chavez. “I’m very proud of how I did in sections.”

The coach trained the runners hard for Folsom’s race, which was full of hills and turns.

“I make sure to do a lot of hills and endurance workouts to get them in shape,” said Coach Vasquez.

“We trained hard, some long workouts to get our bodies ready and well conditioned for sections,” said Bzorek.

Runners trained hard in the hopes of making it past Sections and off to state. However, in the end, no Bear River athletes made it pass Sections. But Cross Country coach was still proud of how his runners did.

“I’m very proud, it was a rebuilding year,” said Vasquez. “Getting everything restarted. … The team was made up of mostly freshmen and sophomores and students that did not have Cross Country as their first sport, but we had a good season with Boys ending in 3rd and Girls in 4th.”