Big hoop dreams for Boys Basketball

Rhiley Harrison, a senior, shoots a lay up. Photo by Brandon McGinnis

The Boys Basketball Team is jumping for their shot at PVLs and possibly state.

Gregg Pistochini, the new head coach for Varsity Basketball, is whipping the team into shape.

“I wasn’t the coach here last year,” said Coach Pistochini. “I expect this team to play harder than their opponents every night. … I expect the team to compete for the league championship.”

Varsity players agreed with Coach Pistochini.

“I think we will do good this year because we have got a lot of returning players and a lot of new players too,” said Brekyn Vasquez, a freshman.

“I expect a lot of big things from the seniors since they’re going to try their hardest, so I’m going to try my hardest and help them,” said Calder Kunde, a sophomore.

“I think we are expecting to make playoffs and have a fun time,” said Stephen Taylor, a junior.

“I think we’re going have a strong season with the talent we have this year,” said Ryan Tantum, a senior.

Coach Pistochini said he noticed the talent this team had right off the bat.

“They’re very athletic and physically strong,” said Coach Pistochini. “We have size, speed, and shooters.”

Varsity players revealed the secret of the talent that Coach Pistochini witnessed.

“I play a lot of AAU basketball and club basketball,” said Vasquez. “I also ran in Cross Country to condition.”

“I feel like being on the Varsity Football team helped to create a bond that transitioned over to Basketball,” said Kunde.

“We did a lot of summer league and during sixth period we would get some shots in during PE,” said Taylor.

“It was last year and Coach Pistochini asked me to come play, saying I would be a keen player thanks to my size and physicality,” said Tantum.

To Bruin athletes, this team means a little more than just winning games.

“It means a lot, because it’s really good playing with older, more experienced players that you respect,” said Vasquez.

“I feel like it’s a brotherhood,” said Kunde. “At practice we play for each other, and we all want the same thing.”

“We’re all brothers,” said Taylor. “We have each others backs, and we look out to each other.”

“We all get along together,” said Tantum. “We aren’t just friends we are best friends and it means a lot to me.”

Coach Pistochini also mentioned the players to look out for this season.

“I expect some of the returners from last year to take a leadership role and make their senior year memorable,” he said.

Tantum responded to his coach’s expectations.

“I don’t think it’s too much pressure as long as we come together as a team and work hard then good things will happen.”