Girls soccer grows through difficult season

Sophomore+Dayanara+Moreno+Zamora+and+Senior+Bailey+Tramel+finish+their+2019-20+soccer+season.+Photo+by+Sara+Tate+
Sophomore Dayanara Moreno Zamora and Senior Bailey Tramel finish their 2019-20 soccer season. Photo by Sara Tate

The Varsity Girls’ Soccer Team concluded their season on February 12, cementing their losing streak for yet another year. 

Long-time Soccer Coach Joe Giovacchini shared why he believed the team fell short from victory once again. 

“At the beginning, we were expecting more of the team, unfortunately, we lost players… [and] it affected how the season went this year…” Coach Giovacchini said. “The team didn’t have as many [experienced] players as they’ve had in the past, so they suffered from that… but otherwise, the effort and all that was great. The girls really gave 110% every single time…”

Senior Bailey Tramel expressed similar reasoning for the lack of wins. 

“I think that’s because our team is very young and [for] a lot of them it’s their first or second year playing so they’re still learning the game as a whole, along with their position, so it’s a lot to take in,” said Tramel. “Next year and the year after, you’ll definitely see some wins as they all come together.”

Corina Shaw, a sophomore, revealed further insight into what went wrong during the season.

“I think we could be a little bit more aggressive and a little bit more… committed,” said Shaw. 

Fellow Sophomore Emma Jackson added on her own beliefs towards how she felt the season went and why it turned out the way that it did. 

“It could have gone better as far as winning games, but I think we did well as a team and we all… really tried our hardest and I think we did really well with improving,” Jackson said. “I think [we could’ve improved by] just not messing around as much [and] focusing more, like trying to score and [knowing] what position you’re playing.”

Despite the seemingly dry season, Shaw explained that the team refused to let that discourage them from giving their all during games and having fun while doing so. 

“I think that every single time we lost a game and we were done with a game we would laugh and then go out to eat, so really, we weren’t losing,” Shaw said. 

However, the Varsity Girls’ did catch a break during a pre-season tournament game when they won by way of a penalty kick. Although this did not affect the season, it was still the first win many Bear River players got to experience and made an impact on the team. This being her first year playing Soccer as a Bruin and getting to contribute to the winning game, Jackson expressed her emotions towards this experience and what it was like. 

“It was actually really fun, it was nice winning a game for a change and it just felt good,” explained Jackson. 

Coach Giovacchini added onto her explanation with one of his own. 

“I think the team really felt good about it…”  he said. 

Tramel revealed how she believed her last year playing soccer as a Bruin went.

“This season was very fun and everybody improved a lot so I think it was definitely successful,” she said. 

Although the Varsity Girl’s soccer team didn’t come out on top, they refused to let that affect how hard they played and the hope they have for the turnout of the next season.