Newly elected ASB officers ready to take the lead

Bruins+such+as+Sophomores+Jake+Van+Bourgondien+and+Grace+Douden+recently+voted+for+the+new+ASB+officers.++Photo+by+Taylor+Wohlgemuth+
Bruins such as Sophomores Jake Van Bourgondien and Grace Douden recently voted for the new ASB officers. Photo by Taylor Wohlgemuth

Last Friday, the long awaited votes for next year’s Associated Student Body (ASB) leadership officers were released, a decision that all Bruins other than seniors have a part to play in making, and which helps determine the course of the next school year.

Junior Klaire Wolford will be succeeding current ASB President and Senior Sarah Kennedy, with Justin McKim as Vice President, Ashley Ray as Secretary, and Livia Nawrocki as Treasurer. 

Unfortunately, we were unable to reach Leadership Advisor Matt MacDonald for comment.

Kennedy expressed her thoughts on the outcome of the election.

“Each of these students have a lot of school spirit and are involved in a variety of things at Bear River,” she said. “I think that having each of them being a part of different sports and activities will allow the class to reach a larger number of students and hopefully create more participation. They are all very outgoing and have pride in Bear River … Each of them worked very hard and earned this.”

Both Wolford and McKim shared similar goals they would like to accomplish through next year’s Leadership class.

“[One of my main goals is] bringing more spirit and fun activities,” said Wolford. “We hope to bring traditional high school experiences like homecoming and floats. Also, to bring new ideas and events that can be carried on throughout the years.”

“Next year I think the whole leadership team has one common goal in mind: Bring back school spirit in any way possible [through] improving rallies and dances and several school events,” said McKim. 

There are more than 100 students in the junior class that had the opportunity to run for these leadership positions. Wolford and McKim continued to describe why they chose to run.

“I decided to run for President because I wanted to be more involved in next year’s school year, and make next year as best as it could be,” said Wolford.

“I ran for VP because I want to have my voice heard and have influence on Bear River High School, because I believe I can make next year awesome,” said McKim. “This year for leadership has been very hard, from the power outages to the Coronavirus, it’s like leadership can’t catch a break. So, it is really important that next year is great, [which I believe I can make happen].”

It’s true: by being an elected official in leadership, students have incredible influence on the coming school year, so these select few are required to juggle quite a few responsibilities, as Kennedy explained.

“There is a great deal of responsibility that comes along with being an ASB officer, but I know that these new officers will work really hard and make it a great year,” she said. “Since three of them have not been in the class before, it will be a little harder for them to plan events, but they will have a lot of support. Just from seeing how hard each of them worked to be elected, I have no doubt that they will put just as much effort into making next year amazing.”

She continued to list a few of the responsibilities she has as the current ASB President.

“As President, you plan what the class will do in leadership each day,” she said. “Attend monthly board meetings and site council meetings, and occasional LCAP meetings. Coordinate with companies for fundraisers and events that they school puts on such as the blood drive and canned food drive. Assign roles to the class to make sure everything gets done with planning a dance/event.” 

Wolford, as next year’s elected President, will have to take over these responsibilities. She provided some input about characteristics she possesses that will help her succeed in these responsibilities.

“Some characteristics and skills I have that will help in the role of President is that I’m very organized and have a very outgoing and positive spirit,” she said. “I’m … willing to cooperate with others but also secure in my role as a leader. Conversation and compromise is key so that everyone is equal and can be heard.”

McKim, as the only officer who has previous experience in leadership, described what he has learned and will continue to grow upon as Vice President.

“Be ready for anything,” he said. “Keep an open mind and listen to what others have to say — in or out of leadership. Next year is going to be a great year.”

Kennedy presented some advice to the newest additions to the ASB officers.

“My advice would be to work hard and have fun!” she said. “Don’t stress too much to the point where you won’t enjoy an event you spent months planning for.”

Wolford added one last remark.

“I am very excited to be next year’s ASB president and cannot wait to get started.”