Closure extended through end of school year

The Bear River campus will remain empty as students continue distance learning through the end of the year. Photo by Karissa Johnson

Less than a week after extending school closures to the beginning of May, the Nevada Joint Union High School District has taken advice from State Officials and extended the closure through the end of the 2019-20 school year. 

Assistant Superintendent Dan Frisella explained the extended closure. 

“Both Governor Newsom and State Superintendent of Public Instruction, Tony Thurmond advised this week that all California schools should remain closed for all in-person and on-campus instruction,” said Mr. Frisella.  “Both state leaders further directed that all districts should implement long term distance learning initiatives for the remainder of the instructional year.”

He continued on to talk about the ever-changing situation. 

“Clearly, this situation has been changing by the week and in some cases by the day,” said Mr. Frisella. “With an understanding that distance learning will continue for the remainder of the school year, district leaders are working diligently to address details surrounding the fulfillment of course requirements, student advancement, graduation, and grading as it pertains to the remainder of the semester. We will keep you abreast of decision-making as swiftly as possible.”

Students explained their feelings about not going back to school this year.

“I feel a little sad, but okay with it since it’s for the student and staff safety from the pandemic,” said Junior Ava Graham.

Junior Noah Dunhower mentioned that he sees some positives along with the negatives.

“The online work is better, but that doesn’t make up for all the events lost,” he said.

For most Senior Bruins, the news seems unreal.

“Personally I have a really hard time wrapping my brain around it,” said Senior Leo Jackson.

“Screw this,” said Senior Gracie Terrell.

While it’s unlikely, the Superintendent stated that in the event that the stay-at-home order issued by the California Governor is lifted, this decision could be reevaluated.