New freshmen get acquainted with Bear River

New freshmen Josh Miller and Jacqueline Lopez are enjoying Bear River. Photos by Hailey Juergenson, Alyssa Rice

Two new freshmen from completely different worlds told us how they liked Bear River.

Jaqueline Lopez, a freshmen student from Mexico, said she likes Bear River.

“I like it a lot,” she said. “One of my dreams has always been to come to California. It’s very clean here.”

Josh Miller, a freshmen and a wrestler, also says he likes it here. He discussed the differences he’s noticed between Bear River and Nevada Union, where he used to go to school.

“Bear River is more welcoming than NU,” he said. “It’s smaller, It’s new. I didn’t really know anyone here and you guys were super welcoming. NU is very cliquey. I think I will stay here the rest of the four years.”

Asked which school he prefers, Miller discussed his conflicting feelings.

“I don’t know,” he said. “I probably like NU better cause I know more people, but Bear River is more welcoming than NU and the wrestling program is way better here. I like most of the classes and teachers. Some pro’s are that Bear River is easier academically. We didn’t have integrated math, it was called Algebra 1. Also the block schedule is better. NU has periods one through six. It’s like the Monday schedule everyday without the Bruin Time.”

Lopez says we treat her well despite her inability to speak English.

“I like it a lot,” she said through a translator. “The teachers are teaching me very well, and they treat me well cause they know I don’t speak English.”

Miller talked about why he switched high schools.

“I chose NU first because I knew more people there and it was an easier convenience for pick up, but I basically live in the middle of both BRHS and NUHS,” he said. “I moved because NU wasn’t really working out, and my dad moved jobs.”

Lopez talked about her biggest difficulties living in the U.S., besides not speaking the language.

“I am far away from my family and my friends,” she said. “I accept that I have to start over.”

Lopez described what teachers and classes she liked the most.

“My favorite teachers and classes are Spanish with Mr. Buss and Frosh Tech with Mrs. Levinson,” she said.

With the major life change, Lopez said she has learned a lesson.

“This is showing me that, no matter what, life goes on.”