Bruins hold high hopes for hybrid

After around eight months, students are finally back on campus with the implementation of the hybrid schedule. Photo by Maya Bussinger

With Bruins back on campus for hybrid schedule on October 12, some students and teachers expressed their similar positive attitudes towards this newly implemented learning format.

Bear River Principal Christopher Roberts had a positive outlook on how hybrid would play out.

“We are all optimistic about the hybrid schedule and that it will be successful,” he said. “Our number one goal with this schedule is to make it work so that we can have all students back on campus as soon as possible.”

Mr. Roberts briefly explained the plan of the hybrid.

“There will be three cohorts of students,” he said. “Cohort A will be attending school in person on Mondays and Tuesdays. Wednesdays will continue to be virtual office hours for students from home, and on Thursdays and Fridays, Cohort A students will be at home attending their Zoom meetings as they’ve been doing during distance learning. Cohort B will do the reverse of that schedule.”

Some Bruins expressed hopeful attitudes towards this new approach to learning such as Senior Connor McGehee who voiced his enthusiasm for the return to school.

“I think the new hybrid learning will be interesting,” McGehee said. “I feel like letting these kids come back to school lets us have more one on one, in person help from the teachers that some of us have been needing these past few weeks.”

McGehee acknowledged the new protocols, imagining that student social life would undoubtedly be unusual.

“I think that as students, we see school in a very social way and it’s definitely going to be different with all the new protocols,” he noted. “We are going to have to be conscious about social distancing and wearing masks.”

Freshman Gretta Barrieau agreed, adding her hope that the protocols prove effective so students can have regular school soon.

“I definitely am looking forward to going back to school. I really miss my friends and getting hands-on learning. I really didn’t like Zoom, so the fact that I get to be in person is exciting,” said Barrieau. “[But] wearing masks all day is definitely not something I would choose to do. I’m hoping all the rules and protocols go well so that we can go back to full time.” 

English Teacher Kristina Stroeve stated that she expects all students will follow the safety protocols.

“I think inside classrooms, students will follow the basic safety protocols of keeping masks on and staying socially distant,” Ms. Stroeve said. “Bear River students have a strong reputation for being respectful.”

With Colfax High School adopting a similar hybrid schedule nearly a month ago, some Colfax students provided their own opinions, such as Colfax Sophomore Asher O’Sullivan.

“I like that we are able to be at school because I find it easier to concentrate on my class and I feel more involved in the class,” O’Sullivan said. “I don’t like that half the time I feel apart from the class and it’s hard to speak up when online.”

He continued to explain a few issues that Bear River might come across while adopting the new schedule.

“[A] problem you might face is that it is hard for the teachers to actively engage both online and in person students,” he said.

Colfax Sophomore Olivia Johnson chose to continue learning remotely and faced different challenges, providing a different point of view.

“To be honest, the main obstacle is staying positive and focused on your work,” said Johnson. “It can be hard to stay motivated when you don’t get to see your friends every day. So overall just be aware of how quarantine is affecting your mental health.”

With much of the Bear River staff not having seen most of the Bruins over these past few months, many are excited to see students’ in-person even if it’s not as often as it would have been under regular circumstances. As a new addition to the Bruin Nation, Ms. Stroeve expressed her excitement for personally meeting her students.

“I am really looking forward to having students in the room with me again,” she said. “Zoom teaching has been so lonely and quiet compared to the bustle of real high school.”