Editorial: Bruins express thankfulness despite circumstances

Bruins find many things to be thankful for with Thanksgiving right around the corner. Photo by Maya Bussinger

From the weather to the time spent with loved ones, the staff of The Current shared the numerous things that they are thankful for this year.

Several Bruins shared that they are most thankful for their families during this holiday season.

“I’m thankful for my family because I get along really well with my family and they take care of me and drive me places and I love them,” said Sophomore and News Editor Jamey Slater.

“They’re some of the people I can’t imagine living without, and I know that they’ll always be there if I need help or if I need support,” said Senior and Executive Editor Annabelle Owyoung.

“I’m thankful for family because I’ve been able to grow closer with them and create better bonds with them,” said Junior Katelyn Heyl.

Junior Alli Whiting explained why she is thankful for her older brother.

“He does so much for me and he’s always that one person I know I can go to and he’ll listen and joke around,” she said. “He does this one thing every time he gets home he’ll come in my room and do something random and he just shows that he cares and it’s nice.”

Others talked about how they are thankful for friends and pets during the hard times of the year.

“I’m thankful for my friends because they helped with quarantine and having someone to talk to,” said Junior Sierra Dixon.

“I’m thankful for my animals because I now have more time to do more stuff with them and give them more attention,” said Senior and Opinion Editor Macey Fowler.

“I’m thankful for my pets because animals are like family and they help us,” said Sophomore Ruth Rivett.

Having more free time this year makes several other Bruins thankful.

“I’m thankful that I have more time to play basketball and hang out with friends,” said Senior Kyle Houston.

“I’m thankful for weekends because I can get all my homework done and waste time looking at memes,” said Sophomore and Sports Editor Maya Bussinger.

Staff members are also thankful for the good health of themselves, the school, and their family.

“Because of everything that’s going on right now, I think that good health is something that we all need,” said Junior and Photo Editor Sara Tate.

“I’m thankful that our school, fortunately, doesn’t have a lot of Coronavirus cases,” said Junior Dominic Hartman.

“It’s not a fun disease to get and I’m thankful that no one has had to endure it in my family,” said Junior and Features Editor Alec Hartman.

Junior Noah Siegenthaler and Sophomores Lorali Thomas and Genesis Olson shared a variety of things they’re thankful for. 

“I’m thankful for finally having cold weather,” said Olson.

“I’m thankful that I don’t ever have to drink La Croix,” said Thomas.

“I’m thankful for video games so that I can escape society and just sit in my room and have fun and not worry about responsibilities,” said Siegenthaler. 

Finally, Junior and Social Media Editor Kirsten Briscoe shared what she’s thankful for.

“I’m thankful that 2020 is almost over.”