Is it time for sports to make a comeback?

Freshman Olivia Herr practices tennis at Bear River on March 25. Photo by Maya Bussinger

As we reach the final stretch of the COVID-19 pandemic, students and coaches wonder if it is finally time to fully welcome sports back into schools.

COVID-19 has taken control of our daily lives and postponed sports seasons for a year now. Recently, many school faculty members have received their COVID-19 vaccines as well as some students. So this raises the question, should sports start up again, or should we wait a little longer? Students and coaches gave their opinions on the topic regarding sports, safety, and timing.

Varsity Volleyball Coach Matt MacDonald was asked about what precautions the school and coaches were taking to keep students safe, “Students that are allowed to participate are doing health screenings upon arrival. They are wearing masks, working in pods, and sanitizing equipment regularly. I personally think that we can safely get our athletes back out there competing in sports. I know that the coaches at Bear River take the safety of our athletes very seriously.”

Students participate in daily screening and sanitize on a regular basis to keep from potentially spreading the virus among teammates. Bruins agree that sports should start up again after the long wait to get back on the field and court.

Tennis player, Junior Caitlyn Parker believes that proper precautions are being taken and sports should resume based on how much contact players have with other players during games and practice, “Close contact sports should have to wait for fewer cases and [more physically distanced] sports can go ahead if there’s an appropriate amount [of precaution]. COVID-19 is transferred through being close to other people, so it makes it harder to allow close contact sports to start. As for the CIF, I’m not sure how they’re deciding which sports are allowed, but as they’re the officials and have all the statistics and facts, I’m going to hope that the way they’re deciding [which sports can resume] is fair.” 

Other students like Sophomore Jacob Sutherland agreed that sports should resume after the standstill. 

“Yes, I think sports should be allowed because they are a big part of students’ lives.” When asked if high school sports should be allowed again he said, “As of now, I believe we can return to sports because of the vaccine.”

As her final season as a high school athlete comes into question whether it should continue or conclude, Senior Josie Booth says, “I do believe that sports should be allowed because kids need an outlet to go to after school to work off tiring hours of learning. Plus it gives students a thing to do besides homework.” 

When asked about what precautions should be taken to protect students further she said, “Wearing masks and social distancing is a given, but also don’t go to practice if you’re not feeling well.”

Students and coaches agree that sports have been put on hold long enough due to COVID-19 and that it is time to push forward with reopening sports. Time to get back onto the field and into the game.