Boog Implicated in Mysterious Death of Baloo

Deputy Micah Arbaugh takes Boog into custody following the mysterious death of Baloo. The investigation has ripped apart the Bear River community. Photo by Maya Bussinger
By Olivia DesAutels, Ruth Rivett and Angelina Williams

Devastating news struck the Bear River High school campus recently.

One of BRHS’s resident brown bears, Baloo, was found dead in front of the campus at 9:30 a.m. on March 25. Investigators have confirmed this was a homicide. Currently, the main suspect is his twin brother, Boog.

Deputy Micah Arbaugh has detained Boog, and he awaits his sentence.

Eyewitness Branson Becker explains the shocking scene. “I had never witnessed bear-on-bear combat to that degree. Boog really Baloo it,” said Becker. “Haha, get it? I made a pun.”

Another eyewitness, Maya Bussinger, was gravely affected by the situation. “I couldn’t believe he just whipped out that rubber band gun and went at it,” said Bussinger. “It only took about 10 minutes. That poor little furry, fuzzy dude was completely emaciated. I only threw up like 18 times.”

The scene was disturbing to onlookers, and Baloo was beloved in the community.

Baloo’s personal friend and Bear River teacher Mike DeCicco shared a heartwarming piece of their friendship. “The thing I remember most about Baloo is that he had the voice of an angel,” said DeCicco. “I remember sitting by the lake during those long summer nights as he sang those sad, beautiful songs of his. I’ll never forget you Baloo.”

According to Deputy Arbaugh, Boog was questioned on his motive. Possible motives include Baloo stealing Boog’s girlfriend and eating Boog’s sandwich.

Boog eventually admitted to being bitter about losing his “soulmate.”

Bailey Brownbear, Boog and Baloo’s former girlfriend (though of course not at the same time) added context to the situation.

“I really just wanted to be the center of attention,” said Brownbear, “I was like, oh my gosh are you fighting over me?”

Brownbear’s reaction to the fatality ultimately resulted in a significant ego boost, which may or may not have been needed. Boog is anticipated to be charged with bear slaughter and spend the rest of his life in prison.