Editorial: Bathrooms reaching critical mass

There is a serious problem with the bathroom situation at Bear River. Photo by Tosh Celenza

Bear River students need to clean up their act.

The Bear River Current strongly feels that our bathrooms are gross and need to be improved upon. To be very clear, this article is not meant to bash the school’s maintenance staff. We believe that the janitors do their job amazingly. However, student disregard for the bathrooms is making them incredibly gross and hard to clean.

The operations manager at Bear River, Paul Mont Eton, had a few things to say about the cleanliness of the bathrooms here. Maintenance regularly cleans the bathrooms every day.

“The biggest issue with the bathrooms is the tissue left on the floor,” Mr. Mont Eton said. “(It usually takes) 20 minutes to clean each bathroom, 30 to 35 minutes on a bad day.”

Mr. Mont Eton had some advice for the students to keep them as clean as possible.

“Treat it like your house,” he said.

Junior Brady Beskeen shared a joke about the gross state of the bathrooms.

“If it’s brown, flush it down,” he said.

But, in all seriousness, he wanted people to know what to do with the toilets.

“Flush the toilets please,” Beskeen said.

Scotty Sandstedt, another junior, commented on how students make the bathrooms dirty and sticky.

“We need to have an aiming class,” he said. “People need to learn how to aim.”

Junior Jake Rodgers also had something to say about that issue.

“(The bathrooms) need to be cleaned, people pee on the floors,” he lamented.

Karinne McDonald, a junior, discussed the Ag Wing bathrooms.

“The (bathroom) in the Ag Wing sucks, but the other ones are pretty decent,” she said. “Besides, we don’t have paper towels.”

McDonald was concerned about the paper towel issue.

“Yes, I do think we need paper towels, because the hand dryers don’t work, and if we don’t get paper towels, we should get better hand dryers,” she said.

Most students agree with the Current: the bathrooms are gross and disgusting. Until students change their ways, the bathrooms are going to stay in their nasty, disgusting state.