Staff Vandalism Reaches Breaking Point With ‘Trick”

Photo Illustration by Mike DeCicco
Assistant Principal confronts troublemakers Tanner Mathias and Sara Noah about their ‘art’ in the staff bathroom.

Bear River students were surprised by the sudden news that on April 1st, Drama and English teacher Sara Noah and zero period weights teacher Tanner Mathias were reportedly in trouble for tagging the staff bathroom.
The sudden occurrence happened as a celebration for the popular April Fool’s holiday, one very popular among students for a day of pranks and tricks. People didn’t expect staff members to get involved, which sparked curiosity among students.
“When I heard Mrs. Noah and Mathias getting in trouble for it, I couldn’t believe it!” freshman Charlotte Moody said after the news leaked out. “I mean, I expected this from Mathias, but not Mrs. Noah.”
A few days prior to April 1, Mathias had gotten told that all his April Fool’s pranks and tricks were all “too childish” and were “too predictable”, to which he strongly disagreed. Mathias decided to go onto school grounds to leave a little trick for Assistant Principal Cathy Peterson, who told him he was a predictable
trickster.
Mathias didn’t want to do it alone, because he wanted to prove to Peterson that he wasn’t predictable and needed the help. He claimed that he wanted help from someone who wouldn’t be expected to cause a trick, which is why he asked Noah to help.
“I knew that if I got Sara to help me prank Cathy, then it would prove that I can’t be predictable!” Mathias said. “But I didn’t plan on getting caught in the act with her.”
Noah had a completely different perspective on the matter, where she claims that she didn’t know it was for Peterson.
“I knew when Tanner asked me to help with one of his pranks, we’d get into trouble.” Noah says on the matter, “However, I’m up for being comical relief. Just not when it gets me into trouble.”
As of now, they are still awaiting punishment from Peterson while the mural is being cleaned. “I must say I did not expect to see Sara spray painting the bathroom wall with Tanner. When I came here to grab papers, I overheard them laughing and heard spray cans. I don’t know their punishment yet, but I’ll figure it out.”
The janitors spent nearly all morning cleaning the graffiti, and does not want to speak about how messy and how long it took to get it off the wall.