Review: Frozen melts hearts for second time

The+first+Frozen+movie+was+released+six+years+ago%2C+but+students+still+love+the+characters+just+as+much%2C+as+evidenced+by+Junior+Emily+Adamson+wearing+an+Olaf+onesie+during+the+recent+pajama+spirit+day.++Photo+by+Maddie+Meilinger+
The first Frozen movie was released six years ago, but students still love the characters just as much, as evidenced by Junior Emily Adamson wearing an Olaf onesie during the recent pajama spirit day. Photo by Maddie Meilinger

Another Frozen already? Didn’t the first one only come out a couple years ago? Those were my questions going into this experience. But little did I know, my sister’s response would make me feel like a dated artifact in The Museum of Fast-paced Childhood. The first Frozen came out six years ago. 

Now think about that for a moment. I went to the theater with my mother and a childhood friend in the middle of fifth grade. I was 11 years old, still oblivious to the awkward wonders of middle school and still oblivious to the loss of innocence in high school. Olaf, our beloved sentient snowman, expressed his grasp of my current 18 years of age with the lyrics, “And you all look a little bit older.” This line sung in “Some Things Never Change,” a song that is an opening to the new Arendelle setting and a playful reminder that we are endlessly growing and changing, but feelings like friendship and love never change.

Frozen II is a delightful sequel to the classic story of sisterly love and a frosty friendship. Sequels are notoriously a tough landing to stick, and Disney is well aware of this. I personally believe that when the curtains close on a story, writers should move on and get creative again. Most sequels leave a bad taste in my mouth because lack of innovation and the obvious cash grab of a boring plot. But I actually enjoyed Frozen II for two main reasons. This movie expanded on the world presented in the original while still staying true to characters we know and love. 

One of the strongest points of this movie was the backstory given to Elsa and Anna’s parents. Disney parents, particularly mothers, are often written out of the story as minor plot points to make the protagonists seem more deep. This happened in the first Frozen, but we took one look at the adorable snowman, and instantly forgave it. In the second movie, however, the majority of the plot rests in the past actions of their parents. The new journey of self-discovery is actually an exploration into family history. It is an intriguing change to a stubborn Disney stereotype. My only critique would be how convoluted the parents’ backstory became—the audience is thrown so many plot twists concerning the parent’s past, it could constitute a movie on its own. 

While bigger perils shadow Arendelle’s future than in the past, Frozen II continues to honor the character’s personalities. Elsa, thoughtful and reserved, is struggling with new inner journey. Anna, bubbly and warm, is continuing to grow up and learn how to become a hero without the gift of magic powers. Olaf, humorously naive, is navigating a complex world of dangers with open arms. And Kristoff, cold heart freshly melted by love, can only find the right words to express himself through his insightful reindeer friend, Sven. 

Other highlights from watching the movie include: 

• Idina Menzel’s vocal performance in “Into the Unknown” – I got goosebumps and proceeded to belt the song out in the car during the whole ride home.
  • Olaf’s reenactment of the first movie – It has been a while since I have laughed that loud in a movie theater.
  • “Lost in the Woods” – Kristoff was a show stopper. I would literally pay another $6 just to watch that part again.