Old-Fashioned Young Love

Photo courtesy of Warner Bros.
‘Flipped’ is a movie about young love, and is well worth your time.

In the old-style movie “Flipped,” director Rob Reiner shows a heartwarming idea of what young love is. This movie shows challenges in scenes and just as many heartwarming ones. It never fails to bring a tear to my eye.
As a high schooler, I get to see other kids my age falling in love but I never know what is truly happening and that is why this movie captured my attention. With its relatable characters and nostalgic setting, “Flipped” is a heartwarming story that can catch the attention of viewers of any age.
One of the first things that struck my attention about “Flipped” is the film’s ability to transport the audience back to the late 1950s. The authentic period setting adds a certain charm and nostalgia. From the costumes to the set design, every detail was put together to represent the time period of this movie’s setting. The main characters,played by Madeline Carroll and Callan McAuliffe, played a great part in adding that feel to this movie.
As a result of how well the director put this together, the film creates an entertaining movie that transports the characters and the viewers to a more simple period of time.
What truly makes “Flipped” stick out are the two protagonists in the movie, Juli Baker and Bryce Loski played by Carroll and McAuliffe.Through the years, we get to watch their relationship evolve as well as the personal growth they experience individually. They go through different emotions and learn new things from each other throughout the movie. They have many scenes throughout the movie that people can relate to and show some of the hardships of not only a relationship but life.
Juli is ambitious, curious, companionate and overall an extroverted person. Bryce shows uncertainty and avoidance of anything that has to do with Juli.Their contrasting personalities create a compelling dynamic that allows the audience to connect with and relate to both characters.
Also, the amazing performances by the actors of the two, Carroll and McAuliffe, make their character journeys even more believable.
Aside from its exciting characters, “Flipped” sends out messages about empathy, family and the importance of understanding. It shows the impact that a single act of kindness can have on someone’s life.
Juli’s appreciation for nature and her persistent efforts to see the good in others helped me recognize the importance of compassion and empathy in our own lives. The film’s expression of the significance of family bonds and friendship also meant a lot to me as a freshman navigating my own relationships.
As a freshman, “Flipped” showed something to me on an emotional level. The film beautifully shows the joys and challenges of growing up, offering valuable life lessons with sincerity. From its iconic time period setting to its fascinating characters, “Flipped” has a quality that continues to impress viewers of all ages.
While watching this beautiful movie, I couldn’t help but feel a sense of nostalgia for a time that I never even experienced. “Flipped” serves as both a reminder of the importance of cherishing our young life and an encouragement to always see the beauty and good.